School me on camper painting.

1stDeuce

Explorer
Wyocrawler, is that the camper that was for sale in Cheyenne about two years ago? "Never been out of the truck, always stored inside"... that one had what looked like a black roof too, but it was just angle iron that someone overlayed to keep it strong.

Compared to my '94 Ute, yours looked really nice, even before you made it look better!!
Nice work!!
Chris

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Looks great! How does the paint look like it is sticking to the trim? That would be my main concern. Not gunna lie, pretty jealous! I might have to start researching rustoleum colors to see if there is a close match to my rig. :elkgrin:

Wyocrawler

Observer
1stDeuce, I bought mine out of Riverton about 4 years ago. I'm the 3rd owner. Love it.

Slo, paint seems to be sticking good, but time will tell. I did take extra time to prep everything really good. Used lots of lacquer thinner to clean and then bleach white, wipe down, then sand with scotch bite, wipe down with tac cloth and prime with rustoleum self etching primer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Looks GREAT. This might inspire me to paint my entire vehicle with rattle cans.

Yes! It does look great! Love the Rattle Can Paint Jobs! Now if I can find a champagne color in rattle can to match my truck I might be painting my camper soon! :bike_rider:

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
It looks great on there--like a new camper!

Paul, Rustoleum does have a line of metallics but I tried a metallic blue on the truck a while back and had a really tough time with it and didn't like the outcome. The color itself is somewhat transparent and the spray pattern was pretty narrow, making it difficult to get an even coat--the thin spots really showed through. The metal flakes had a tendency to overspray and it made the surface really rough. With enough clear coat over the top, it may have turned out okay, but I had an even tougher time putting on an even clear coat--it promptly yellowed and peeled. The gloss-white was a dream to apply in comparison and turned out much, much better.

Jason--I sprayed the entire 1st gen 4runner with cans--it came out pretty nicely with gloss-white--not at all nicely in metallic blue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman