Scout camper feel too heavy?

Skinhyfish

Observer
Curious peoples opinions on theirs. Might put on a tundra, curious if it had that too heavy feel. Also curious what people liked and disliked. Thanks you all

Zach

NVLOC

Observer
What year tundra? First gen, the answer is yes, absolutely. Second, I don't have the experience to answer.

Anything you put on there that is around 1000lbs empty over stock will feel too heavy when equipped for use.

rruff

Explorer
A Scout is one of the lightest hardside campers. But loaded up, you are going to be over GVWR. If that bothers you, then forget it. You need to get a more heavy duty truck.

If it doesn't bother you, upgrade your suspension and install E-rated tires, and it will handle fine. Precise recommendations will depend on your use case.

simple

Adventurer
Kind of depends on what model you are referring to. The Tuktut shouldn't be to bad, especially if you put your fridge, water etc on the floor while driving.

rruff

Explorer
Upgraded suspension and airbags already. Curious with height it has a top heavy feel.
Don't put a few hundred pounds of stuff on the roof, and it should be fine...

Mine is larger than a Kenai, and it handles twisty roads and crosswinds just fine. The Scouts look like they should have decent aero. The vertical CG will go up very little, considering that the camper weighs maybe 1/6 as much as the truck.

Shredgnar

Just picked our Olympic up the other day and put it on a 2nd gen Tundra. 1275 lbs empty on the tag. E rated tires, Airbags, 3" lift. Drove great up I70 in CO. No problems, no swaying, etc. Got a little rocking forward and back on some weird pavement bumps on the highway. Pretty bad mpg on the uphills.

I'm not planning on adding much weight. We decided against the RTT due to the weight and it being high up for CG. Will probably get a trailer for motos and mtbs and any additional gear. I need one anyway for work.

mukker4life

I agree with Shredgnar, have an Olympic on a 2019 Tundra 3” lift and airbags. I don't even notice it except for mpg. I have enjoyed it, been to Idaho and Montana From CO a few times. Did great on the long drives pulling a trailer with the toys. But I have been thinking about simplifying my set up lately to be able to use my truck again.

1699219408162.jpeg

Last edited:

Skinhyfish

Observer
I agree with Shredgnar, have an Olympic on a 2019 Tundra 3” lift and airbags. I don't even notice it except for mpg. I have enjoyed it, been to Idaho and Montana From CO a few times. Did great on the long drives pulling a trailer with the toys. But I have been thinking about simplifying my set up lately to be able to use my truck again.

View attachment 804482
What’s your MpG’s

I’m getting solid 11 with tall 35’s and my hallmark. Truck is going for a regear to 5.29’s as soon and I add up the cash

rruff

Explorer
I’m getting solid 11 with tall 35’s and my hallmark. Truck is going for a regear to 5.29’s as soon and I add up the cash
Just a hair over 16 with this. Was high 17s on the same trip without the camper.

camper_01-jpg.796873

Mattig

I think the better question is whether the Scout would feel too heavy for a Tacoma with upgraded leaf springs.

Granted, the Tundra isn't on par with big kid trucks, but it's certainly up to the task for a 1500lb wet weight camper. Might not be that pleasant to drive without some suspension mods.

NVLOC

Observer
I have a Kenai on an F350 with crew cab and long box. Can barely tell it is there. No suspension upgrades needed.
That's a more suited tool for the job. Difference between operating close to max capacity at all times, versus being well within intended parameters. You can do both obviously (no one will stop you), but reliability/durability and safety will be different.
When users comment on "it barely feeling like it's there" it's usually because the weight is within the design parameters of the truck owned. Other reality and sometimes the case, users will have a disconnect with mechanical things in general (not a criticism, just a reality), so even pronounced changes in ride characteristics are not perceived or the full picture is not understood (ie, it's not because the truck is now level with airbags that issues are all addressed and other not created). Obviouy in the case of this comment, it is because the weight is within design parameters; something to think of however when you ask such a broad spectrum of users over the internet.

Airbags add a pronounced increase in spring force deep in the travel that exponentially increases the more they are compressed. A speed sensitive damper (most common current shock technology) cannot deal with a positional increase in spring force without negatively affecting other types of inputs. They will hold the load statically but dynamically airbags are a mess - issues will be exacerbated under dynamic inputs such as dips, ledges, off road situations. Proper spring pack built for the weight is the option to consider.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior