Security of the RTT

Topo.Ranger

Adventurer
Just curious to see what you all have done to protect your investments. I am a one man show so for now I will be carrying the rtt on the Jeep until I am able to build a hoist for it. Where can I find the Aluminum track that comes on most tents? I have found a few different styles of security nuts and bolts. I am very aware that the security items will only keep the honest man out. But Id like to see what you all have come up with!

Thanks

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
If you need a hoist to lift it off, how is a thief going to take it off and where is he going to put it?

Outside somewhere

Overland certified public figure brand ambassador
If you need a hoist to lift it off, how is a thief going to take it off and where is he going to put it?

Happens more than you would think. There was this one:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...ep-your-eyes-out-please?highlight=stolen+tent

Also IIRC there was a tepui gran sabana (180 pounds) stolen off a guys trailer up in Alaska in the last 6 months. And a baroud was stolen off a JKU out in California a couple of months ago. Lot of scumbags in the world. That's why I have my tent and awning secured in a way that one would have to ruin them both to get them off.

Topo.Ranger

Adventurer

Well there was a tent stolen not too far away from me in NC and I work too hard for these modifications for these ************** to take my stuff. So I was just trying to get some ideas to at least make it harder for them to steal the stuff.

Topo.Ranger

Adventurer
I have seen the security nuts which I will probably buy. I'm planning on mounting my tent to the adjustable crossbars from Gobi and with the security nuts on those bars. But I was thinking about the tent to the cross bars also.

shoredreamer

Observer
My tent is mounted pretty close to my roof and also on each bolt mounting the tent to the roof rack I have 4 lock nuts on each. i figure it would take a long time to unscrew all 32 nuts to remove the rack and it's pretty tight in there to attempt to cut off the bolts. My roof rack is attached to the roof and all nuts and bolts have high strength loctite on em.

In the end, anything is possible and nothing is theft proof but at least a guy with just a wrench can't just reach up and undo my tent in ten minutes and be gone

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
My tent is mounted pretty close to my roof and also on each bolt mounting the tent to the roof rack I have 4 lock nuts on each. i figure it would take a long time to unscrew all 32 nuts to remove the rack and it's pretty tight in there to attempt to cut off the bolts. My roof rack is attached to the roof and all nuts and bolts have high strength loctite on em.

In the end, anything is possible and nothing is theft proof but at least a guy with just a wrench can't just reach up and undo my tent in ten minutes and be gone

What shoredreamer has said is really great. You could get some additional "U" bolts and put the nuts inside if the tent. Just drill some holes in the corner areas where the tent bars cross the roof rack bars. Granted as stated with enough time they will get it off. You just want to make it a pain in the back side for them. If a tent is closed that will also make them have to open it up to access the inside nuts.

The other thing is to remember to keep your receipt on the tent. You can add this to your auto insurance or use your home owners insurance to to get some of the replacement cost of the new tent.

A cordless sawzall can cut through both cross bars on each side in about 80-90 seconds and have the tent off, the most effective method would be to bolt the tent directly to the lid of a trailer or a full width roof rack that doesn't have enough room between the slats to get a tool or saw blade in far enough to be effective. While I realize that most people do not carry a sawzall in their rig, I would imagine a thief who is really planning to score a niche item is thinking ahead, as opposed to just some random crack head walking through a neighborhood looking for an easy smash and grab.

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
I just have insurance. I don't really worry about theft much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fike

Adventurer
I've driven over ten-thousand mikes with mine. Never worried for a second. ******** happens. Don't waste your life trying to avoid every possible crappy thing.

(Then again, you could attach it to some detonators so that it explodes when someone removes it. That wouldsolvetheproblem.)

TRDPaul

When I mounted my tent I put a few tack welds onto each bolt. Will it stop someone from stealing it? No, but it will deter the honest people and those who didn't bring a saw to steal it. If someone wants it they will get it but I am going to make them work for it....nothing in life comes easy or free kind of thing.

Yes, I have insurance that covers this type of thing but I don't want to have to pay my deductible OR be out a camping trip while I wait for my new tent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12