Self build facilities

Hjortur

Hello everyone.

In the starting stages of planning a trip through North America in the next years, was planning to use a full size pickup with integrated camper, buying and building it at home in Iceland, but seeing as the trucks in the US and Canada are much cheaper and I wouldn't have to fork out thousands of dollars for shipping I was thinking it may be a better idea to buy one over there.
The main reason not to do this is venturing on a long trip in an unfamiliar truck since I would be buying a used truck.

My question is, are there any facilities one could rent to work on the rig? I have seen some workshop rentals on the internet but have no idea how good they generally are and how plentiful.

Has anyone done something similar?

I would think most metropolitan areas would have at least one, if not many. How good they are is going to be a wild guess. Also keep in mind as they typically would cater to more car based enthusiasts, the lifts may not be big enough for a large heavy rig. I've used one here in the Seattle area (https://stewsgarage.com/) and it was great. Had tools, many specialty tools available. The guys working there couldn't help with the work but were very helpful with advice.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
You're in luck, prices on used trucks are predicted to be coming down. Depending on what type of vehicle you are building you might find a build collective. I have heard of these in the vanning and schoolie communities. I wish I could be more help.

billiebob

Many of the places which rent space only rent space for storage. Actual garages where you will be allowed to WORK on a vehicle are rare. Reaching out on a forum like this might find a "freind" who will help.

Altho the logistics of sourcing parts might be harder.... rural, farming communities might offer more options.

Hjortur

Thanks everyone for your replies, the simplest route would probably be to buy a truck and a tray camper, possible get a shop to install a flatbed and flatbed camper, and I can always do simple work on the truck on the trail, used to changing axles in a blizzard anyway (it's a land cruiser thing ?)
That or buy a built truck, the selection in the classifieds here is quite good. Now it's only a matter of saving :)

Kevin108

Explorer
I don't know what these facilities are called, but I know there's one in Virginia Beach. https://americandiyg.com/adiyg/ The downside is cost. Unless you're extremely skilled and work fast, there's a good possibility it would be cheaper to have a mechanic with his own bay do the work for you.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
We had one of those DIY shops here, he went bust, according to him it was business politics having his insurance jacked up, oh the value of acceptance by industry peers.

I'd suggest you buy a vehicle here, just find a shop or buy something already built. Get AAA roadside assistance for an RV, a short term warranty and hit the road. Sell it when you're done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179