Servicing Your Fridge Freezer

articulate

Expedition Leader
Okay, for some closure here, I've fixed my problem with the fridge. And once again, the problem wasn't the fridge but that damned fridge owner.

Two changes brought my fridge back to original operating performance:
  1. Changed my 14ga wire (that ran from battery to fridge) to 10ga wire
  2. Installed a Posi-Fit (from Sierra Expeditions)

There was nothing wrong with the fridge. Very stoked.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
Two changes brought my fridge back to original operating performance:
  1. Changed my 14ga wire (that ran from battery to fridge) to 10ga wire
  2. Installed a Posi-Fit (from Sierra Expeditions)

I'm curious about this . . .

It seems like 14 gauge wire should be plenty adequate for running the fridge. I think the max draw on the Engel is like 2.5 amps. Do you think it was the actual gauge of the wire versus some other weak link in the wiring (i.e. the wire itself was bad or one or more of the connections were bad)? I just don't see 14 gauge wire (if in good shape) being an issue. Just wondering your thoughts.

My Engel MT45 failed to cool after being in storage for 5 months. On a long shot I took a drive on some FS roads in case the freon was locked up in the system. It worked like a champ and in back to running great. It would be nice to have a source for on hand Engel parts in the USA.

dmicucci

I recently encountered a similar problem with my VL series Iceco, I have my own thread going in this same forum. I'll be updating that thread shortly, but long story short, 14 awg wire was not big enough and the 12v cig plug was wholly insufficient.

pluton

Adventurer
If you aren't going to use the fridge for weeks or months, it is better to leave the Engel running on household 120V AC, with some ballast in it, than leave it in non-operational storage. Source: Engel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998