Shiftpod; The obvious alternative

beef tits

Why don't we see more Shiftpods in use? I have one and love it. Sets up in 3 minutes, insulation is way better than any rooftop tent, and you can stand up inside. You can run a heater in it.

"But I like sleeping up high"; Maybe you are high? If you're in Grizzly country, first of all a RTT is not going to protect you at all. If you're not in grizzly country... what exactly are you afraid of?

RTT's suck. They get you bad MPG, you have to tear down to move vehicle, no space inside, the mattresses are AWFUL, good luck running a heater inside for winter camping, major contributor to clearance issues in parking decks, can't even leave your sleeping bag inside most of them and close the top... and on average they cost twice as much as a Shiftpod or more.

I have owned a Maggiolina, Smittybilt Overland, Bad@ss Tent and Tepui something or another on various vehicles. I've also owned four different Four Wheel Campers, including shell models.... totally differet category but guess what; I hated every one of them. Gave RTT's an honest try. Gave 4WC an honest try.... No thanks. Four Wheel Campers always rattle apart, screws always coming loose, they're awful off-road and so overrated/overpriced. 4WC = A cheaply built camper that's slightly better than every other cheaply built camper, but remains a cheaply built camper.

So again, why don't we see more Shiftpods in use? They're super light, easily stored in a garage when not in use, they set up super fast, and you can stuff a queen mattress inside, hell you could fit two of them.... Insulation is minimal but it makes a huge difference. This is a no-brainer in my opinion. It's the best option, especially for weekend warriors... which most of us are.

For ultralight trips with nightly relocation, or motorcycle trips, I use a henessey hammock... nice and compact, though honestly the hammock also takes longer to set up than the shiftpod.

Last edited:
I've been using one for 4 years now. Have around 140 nights in it. Lot's of weekend trips and numerous 2-3 week trips. Most of the time it's setup less than 2 days at any given spot. This thing is beyond tent level. Better to think of it as a portable room/shelter. The ability to stand up in it is wonderful. I use a diesel heater. This makes it a true game changer for camping in any kind of cold weather camping. Even when it's just down to the low mid 60's. The heat takes away the dampness. Wake up in a dry and very comfortable setting. Been down to 20 degrees in it so far. Temp inside stayed at 75 degrees:) My son and I use two single beds. A couple of chairs setup inside as well. It's home on the road to us.

Plus's
1. Pitch it in less than two minutes. Same for teardown of tent. All the stuff inside is another story
2. With heat - it's home.
3. Great place to seek shelter when the weather turns south.
4. Hurricane resistant. Just need to have the tent staked down. Been in a storm with sustained winds over 50mph. All of the other tents around us were trampled. Ours? nothing.
5. With the rain cover - does good in the rain. Without it - Done pretty well. Didn't' leak in the light rains we've had it in.

Minus's?
1. Packed it's heavy and bulky. While one person can lift and put it in the vehicle, it's easier with two. 75 pounds?
2. Needs some room dedicated for storage in your vehicle. It's 6 foot by 14 by14 inches - roughly.
3. Mines taking a beating to the shine. I'd say this is due to lot's of storage when it wasn't totally dry. Still works good. Just lost it's space ship shine.
4. People are gonna ask you all the time about it. Be ready.

Attachments

• tent.jpg
    tent.jpg
    560 KB · Views: 25

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
All of your points are valid. Not much of a cool guy factor with a tent tho, so I assume that's why 90% of the time a RTT is more popular.

The main reason I use my RTT over a ground tent is simple, rocks. I do mostly desert camping. After 10+ years of going to anza borregoI have found 4 spots that are secluded and that I love and go to every time. Rocks on rocks on rocks. It's easier to level the truck, open the tent and not have to worry about it.

With that being said, RTT and toddlers do not mix, and I have 2 little kids. So a tent is in my very, very near future. So thank you for pointing this brand out to me.

Quick question for you, When I do camp with my wife and kid (haven't camped with the new guy yet) we use a ground tent and inside it fits a queen size blow up mattress and has room for the kiddos sleep/play pen thing and the black out tent we use for her. Does the shift pod have enough room for a queen size mattress, and two play pens?

XJLI

Adventurer
With that being said, RTT and toddlers do not mix, and I have 2 little kids. So a tent is in my very, very near future. So thank you for pointing this brand out to me.

I'd beg the differ. My son LOVES the roof tent. It's his treehouse.

That being said, I sold mine and am going to a ground tent. Why? All the negatives about a RTT are really noticeable. And the softcover tent SUCKS to set up and put away. I'm not interested in the Shiftpod because frankly it is WAY expensive. I'm sure it's great. But I'll probably end up with one of those higher-end 6ft tall 6p Coleman's with the full rainfly but ~$300. I thought about the Gazelle but heard a few reports of water intrusion and those doors suck... I need two full-size doors because all I do is pee all night.

smlobx

Wanderer
I’ve ground tented for over 30 years and yes they do have their place. A RTT does offer several advantages including they are easier to set up and I can keep all the bedding including pillows in there, they are generally drier since you’re not on the wet ground and yes they are safer…we’ve had a lion circle our campsite in Botswana and although I was scared $hitless it never tried to climb up the ladder…not sure about Grizzlies.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I'd beg the differ. My son LOVES the roof tent. It's his treehouse.

That being said, I sold mine and am going to a ground tent. Why? All the negatives about a RTT are really noticeable. And the softcover tent SUCKS to set up and put away. I'm not interested in the Shiftpod because frankly it is WAY expensive. I'm sure it's great. But I'll probably end up with one of those higher-end 6ft tall 6p Coleman's with the full rainfly but ~$300. I thought about the Gazelle but heard a few reports of water intrusion and those doors suck... I need two full-size doors because all I do is pee all night.
That's interesting, never thought of it like that. Mine is 2.5 and the other is 6 months so I guess in a few more years the 2.5 YO would think its a fort and think its cool lol

Lunaru

Over the last 20+ yrs I have tried many different setups, why did I choose an RTT and will always choose to be off the ground? Camping in the coast range of the PNW, and just kinda tired of sleeping in mud, water, or snow.

grizzlypath

The age 'ol ground tent vs RTT debate, sprinkled with quick-deploy ground tents. Porque no los dos? I have a Gazelle T4, a Clam Pavillion, and a RTT. They all have their pros/cons and I use them all depending on where/when we're camping. Everyone is different, however here are a few examples:
  • RTT is nice when parking on rocks (think ankle breaker softball to basketball size)
  • RTT can be nice when space is a concern for a big footprint
  • RTT or sleeping in the vehicle can be ideal for winter weather scenarios, or heavy rain, depending on how long you plan to be in a location
  • Ground tent can be nice for more space (family, dressing, hanging out)
  • Ground tents allow you to store all your stuff in them with you
  • Ground tents are often significantly lighter than a RTT
  • Gazebos can be even larger than a Gazelle or ShiftPod, but they usually don't have a floor
  • Sleeping in your vehicle can provide additional security, stealth, insulation, readiness to relocate
IMG_0313.jpg

Screenshot 2024-01-17 100745.png

Screenshot 2024-01-17 100848.pngScreenshot 2024-01-17 100812.png

Screenshot 2024-01-17 100922.png

Attachments

• IMG_0313.jpg
    IMG_0313.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Why don't we see more Shiftpods in use? I have one and love it. Sets up in 3 minutes, insulation is way better than any rooftop tent, and you can stand up inside. You can run a heater in it.

"But I like sleeping up high"; Maybe you are high? If you're in Grizzly country, first of all a RTT is not going to protect you at all. If you're not in grizzly country... what exactly are you afraid of?

RTT's suck. They get you bad MPG, you have to tear down to move vehicle, no space inside, the mattresses are AWFUL, good luck running a heater inside for winter camping, major contributor to clearance issues in parking decks, can't even leave your sleeping bag inside most of them and close the top... and on average they cost twice as much as a Shiftpod or more.

I have owned a Maggiolina, Smittybilt Overland, Bad@ss Tent and Tepui something or another on various vehicles. I've also owned four different Four Wheel Campers, including shell models.... totally differet category but guess what; I hated every one of them. Gave RTT's an honest try. Gave 4WC an honest try.... No thanks. Four Wheel Campers always rattle apart, screws always coming loose, they're awful off-road and so overrated/overpriced. 4WC = A cheaply built camper that's slightly better than every other cheaply built camper, but remains a cheaply built camper.

So again, why don't we see more Shiftpods in use? They're super light, easily stored in a garage when not in use, they set up super fast, and you can stuff a queen mattress inside, hell you could fit two of them.... Insulation is minimal but it makes a huge difference. This is a no-brainer in my opinion. It's the best option, especially for weekend warriors... which most of us are.

For ultralight trips with nightly relocation, or motorcycle trips, I use a henessey hammock... nice and compact, though honestly the hammock also takes longer to set up than the shiftpod.

Reminds me of an ice fishing shelter I’ve wondered how those do for camping.

IMG_7914.png

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
Guessing the ice fishing shelter is not so ideal in summer heat and direct sun but would love to see a performance test head to head - heat, cold, high wind, durability, weight and packed size, ease of setup / breakdown, interior aesthetics

beef tits

Shiftpod was designed for summer use at burning man. Having used it, it's great. There are vents all around if you don't have portable AC. The whole thing is shiny and reflects heat. It's also great in the winter with a Mr Buddy, as it is somewhat insulated. Based on the fishing shelters shown it also appears to be much much bigger. There is a shiftpod mini that is more comparable to those fishing shelters.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
That's interesting, never thought of it like that. Mine is 2.5 and the other is 6 months so I guess in a few more years the 2.5 YO would think its a fort and think its cool lol

My kids, and me too, consider the RTT to be the best tree fort ever. Sometimes I’ll set it up for them to play in the yard.

One consideration is that kids develop rapidly. I always chuckle when I see new parents discussing getting a different car “to fit the car seat” … I keep cars 8-15 years, my kids changed car seats every 6-9 months for about 5 years.

Similarly with the RTTs. Once they were in bunk beds (4-5 years old) they handle the RTT without a second thought. We do focus on basic rules… the door must be ALWAYS zipped when they are inside to prevent fall-outs, especially when they get to running around inside. We try hard to limit that too.

Fishenough

Creeper
Plus;

Durability. During a night of strong winds ocean side, noticed buddy climbing out of his RTT at 3am. His XL Shiftpod had blown 200 yards into the bushes. It was scuffed but otherwise completely undamaged. It had been erected with anchors, but with the heavy rain the ground had softened and winds were gusting over 80 kph.

I found the ice fishing version cool in the summer. Well Canadian North summer, far from Burning man. Picture of the set up I bought just to try out the ice fishing thing well living in the north.
4a110e234231fd07b975abd64887af4d.jpg

MotoDave

Explorer
Reminds me of an ice fishing shelter I’ve wondered how those do for camping.
They make non insulated versions also, I have the older 6 sided one without the floor, thought they make ones now with a floor that would be better as a tent. https://quicksetshelters.com/camping

I really like that the side panels can all be removed to make a giant screen room, or the panels attached to make a huge tent. It fits over a picnic table so we typically use it as a place to eat and get away from bugs in the evening. If staked out it'll hold up to 40+ mph winds, that's the highest I've had it in at least. The major downside is it packed size is still really big, probably naerly 6' long. I carry it on a roof rack on top of the car.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior