Shipping a Unimog from Germany to Canada

Jolly Roger

Adventurer
Well, as I am unfamiliar with Mogs at the present time, I may bow to your collective wisdom and abandon the idea of driving it 4,400 from one coast to another.

I really would prefer to find a Mog in North America, but so far (after many of hours searching) I've yet to find a suitable vehicle. As I'm not very mechanically inclined, I'd prefer to find a unit that already comes complete with a camper . . . as opposed to having to build one myself.

I have found a nice Mog & camper combination in Europe, but its obviously quite expensive (shipping, duty, taxes, etc.) to get it half-way across the world. If I could find something similar over here, that would be great, but so far I haven't had much luck. If anyone knows of any Mog / Camper units that are up for sale at the moment, please feel free to PM me.

Cheers
Simon

Jolly Roger

Adventurer

Tmax

Incendo, Mross imports can take care of all you need. just remember that there is no such thing as a cheap unimog. you either pay now or you pay before you drive it. LOL.

and as others said, dont drive a unimog across the country till you are familliar with it.

Jolly Roger

Adventurer
Incendo, Mross imports can take care of all you need. just remember that there is no such thing as a cheap unimog. you either pay now or you pay before you drive it. LOL.

and as others said, dont drive a unimog across the country till you are familliar with it.

Cheers Tmax, I spoke to Hans a few weeks ago and got the impression that he didn't import vehicles for other people. Perhaps I misunderstood him so I'll give him another call.

Devil1964

Something to consider is that you technically need an air endorsement on your DL to drive larger Mogs. Without it, you'll have lots of trouble with the RCMP if you're stopped or at the scales. Also, I've heard that all vehicles coming into Canada are being sent to be cleaned, regardless of how clean they already are. Not sure if it's true but you may want to figure this into the costs, just to be safe.
Pete

I don't know if you require the air endorsement as the Mog is air over hydraulic, not pure "air brakes" as such. Our G-Wagon cost about $2000 to ship from Germany to Halifax. It had been cleaned before it boarded onto the boat, but it wasn't exactly sparkling! They still passed it - their biggest beef is mud and dirt that could bring in unwanted nasties. And I'm sure we weren't charged duty on the chipping costs...

You could ask these guys about shipping - they recently shipped their Mog from Germany to Halifax with no problems: http://www.arminius-on-tour.com/vehicle.html

oonimog

Adventurer
I don't know if you require the air endorsement as the Mog is air over hydraulic, not pure "air brakes" as such. Our G-Wagon cost about $2000 to ship from Germany to Halifax. It had been cleaned before it boarded onto the boat, but it wasn't exactly sparkling! They still passed it - their biggest beef is mud and dirt that could bring in unwanted nasties. And I'm sure we weren't charged duty on the chipping costs...

You could ask these guys about shipping - they recently shipped their Mog from Germany to Halifax with no problems: http://www.arminius-on-tour.com/vehicle.html

If the Mog is an SBU (square cab), you are correct in that it is air over hydraulic but an air endorsement is required. The reason is that without air, the brake system is not reduced in performance (as with a booster), rather does not function at all. There is no hydraulic or mechanical connection between your foot and the brakes, the system relies on air to operate the brakes. Also, the parking brake is applied with a spring and released by air, not mechanically.

As for the cleaning, when did you bring your G in? I've heard things have gotten worse more recently but maybe your experience is good news. Or maybe you were lucky as any dirt usually spells trouble.

Maryland 110

Adventurer
Get me the cubic meters of the truck and I'll get you a quote. I am not experienced in Canadian entries/customs but have handled 90+ US entries.
I'll get you shipping quotes East and West coast and leave entry up to you.

Jolly Roger

Adventurer
Get me the cubic meters of the truck and I'll get you a quote. I am not experienced in Canadian entries/customs but have handled 90+ US entries.
I'll get you shipping quotes East and West coast and leave entry up to you.

Great thanks! Just sent you a PM with the details.

Cheers
Simon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle