Shocks compression adjuster usefulness!

tomaz4x4

Hello everyone.
I'm looking to buy a shocks with compression adjusters and before I do, I have some questions for you:
1. Are they actually useful, if you can't adjust them on the move?
2. Is this an irritating problem, that you can't adjust them on the move?
3. And If this is a problem for you, how do you solve it?
Thank you very much!

javajoe79

Fabricator
Maybe if terrain was changing so rapidly that you wanted to adjust them constantly but I really don’t see that happening. Chances are you’ll find a happy medium and leave them there. Maybe change them for off road vs on road

downhill

Adventurer
I have had both adjustable and non adjustable shocks before. The adjustments can be useful for initial tuning, if there is no well tuned option available for your make/model. I have not found them useful otherwise. If you start fiddling with settings in the cab while you are moving, your suspension will be constantly screwed up. The only way it might be useful is if you could also adjust spring rate. Compression and rebound rates have to be matched to spring rate, since the shocks' only job is to control the movement of the spring. A quality shock designed for your vehicle, with speed sensitive valving is the best answer short of a totally computer controlled "active suspension".

tomaz4x4

Thank you for answers!
I was thinking on buying king ibp coilovers with compression adjuster. Here is where I see a problem. What is the point of compression adjusters on such shocks if you have to stop to change stiffnes on them (off road to on road, fast off roading to rock crawling, etc.).

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I run Kings on all four corners of my desert car. Mine don't have the knob so it's all old school tuning. You will not be adjusting them enough to need in cab adjusting. You will find a setting and leave it until you load up to the max or pull a trailer. If your running 40 miles at Death Valley then so what if you go around and loosen them a few clicks from outside. Put them back for the ride home and adjust at home to your daily driver settings. Just remember to count the clicks in or out until you get a feel for it. If your questioning the value of spending the extra money on adjustable ones then heck yes. Get the ones with the knob. I've got cheap adjustable Ranchos on the van. Real stiff for pulling a load and real loose around town when empty. A few clicks in or out is fast and easy.

javajoe79

Fabricator
The point is that you CAN change the setting as opposed to a shock where you can't. People have different preferences for dampening and different conditions might require different setting, so an adjustable shock is good for that. Like I mentioned, you would probably find that you don't change them much once you get them dialed in to suit your preferences. The occasional change to optimize for certain conditions would take a matter of minutes or seconds even. I don't see that as such a big deal.

paranoid56

Adventurer
I have Fox DSC on all 4 corners of my tacoma and i use the all the time. Having it a bit softer when daily driving the truck then when its loaded up for camping i can firm it up.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
I have Fox DSC and they are worth it if you run no sway bars. I stiffen them up for street use and hardly notice any body roll as if it has a sway bar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12