Should I think about a front winch on a 4x2?

Jfet

Adventurer
My truck is an Isuzu NRR, but of course they are so very similar to a Mitsubishi FE180.

We are finishing up the camper to go on the 20 foot flatbed and I am now looking at truck modifications. The rig will be pretty big and heavy (12' high, 100 inches wide, 26 feet OAL, 17,000lbs loaded) and we will not be rock climbing with it. We probably will take it on dirt roads, forestry roads, and sandy areas.

So...front mounted winch a good idea or no? Size and brand recommendations? Good source for compatible bumper?

crudegarage1.jpg

Shocker

VanDOOM!
Not really sure on the bumper, you might have to have one constructed. Personally I would consider fitting a winch. As time goes on you will get more used to your rig and start to probe it's abilities. One step over the line...yer stuck.

With a rig that heavy, it is going to be hard to meet the 1.5x standard for a winch.

Pierce makes an affordable 20k lb 12v winch - http://piercearrow.co/product-view/20000-utility-winch/

In conjunction with a snatch block it would probably provide enough in a pinch.

tarditi

Explorer
For a truck that heavy, the winch will have to be quite substantial to pull straight, single-line.

Safety margin is 1.5x - 2x GVW, but you can make do with mechanical advantage (doubling the line multiplies the pulling force with the same output) but you'll need some serious hardware to go along with the winch. You could go with a hydraulic winch - some larger platforms have provisions for a PTO, but that may not be an option for you.

Something like this may fit the bill - http://milemarker.com/products/hydraulic-winches/18k-hydraulic

With 2WD, I would really want some peace of mind when it comes to recovery in the field, but that's my $.02

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
My take on this is as follows...
It's a 2x4 truck, so tackling some 4x4 tracks may result in some unwanted scenarios. A winch is normally a worthwhile addition, but what do you want to achieve with it?

The winch does not need to be a monster. You could use a smaller winch and a snatch block. The recovery would be slower, but does that really matter? It is likely that you will not be getting stuck that often if you know the capabilities of your truck and drive in appropriate locations. On the odd occasion that you did make a mistake and went somewhere that you shouldn't have gone, backtracking might be the more logical choice, rather than pressing on and really getting stuck.

So basically, if you were to fit a winch I would think that one on the back might be more practical in your situation. A winch on the front might give you some false confidence and get you deeper into trouble.

medicfernando

Adventurer
I would consider a winch on a receiver mount, that way you can use it front or rear. Especially with a 2wd, so that you can back out as the other gentleman said. The only drawback might be that it will weigh a lot in order to be HD enough for your truck. Good luck.

Jfet

Adventurer
Some good input here.

Mostly I was worried about getting stuck in sand or mud...perhaps in the situation where I misread the road. In those type of situations, where just a little bit more traction would get you out, perhaps you don't need a 20,000 lb (40,000 lb with snatch block) pull?

I still need to install a rear hitch, and the idea of installing a front hitch and a rear hitch, then using a receiver mounted winch does sound interesting. I could install 10,000 lb hitches, then use a smaller winch (and possibly a snatch block) to give me that extra boost.

Or I could just wait and see if I ever get stuck, then make the decision then based on how long it took to get help. :)

quickfarms

Adventurer
First I would worry about what differential is in the axle.

Some trucks have a center mounted PTO or hydraulic winch with pulleys so the cable can either be run to the back or front.

The next problem you will have with a heavy truck is what to anchor the cable to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior