Show Off Your KID MODS!

5Runner

Adventurer
So I am sure I am not the only one who has customized (kidstomized) my rig in little ways to benefit the kiddos. Now's the time and here's the place! Share your "kid mods" with the group!

Remember...It's all for the children...

I keep trying that line to convince my wife to let my buy some "Kid Step-Up Bars"...aka...rock sliders! HA!

Here's what I have done, but I hope to get some new ideas from you guys.

The kid grips: I bought some handles from the front of a junkyard 4runner. Pulled them myself and got them both for $15, then screwed them to the sides of the front seat (one on each side). They are in the perfect spot to not be in the way, but to be reachable for the kids.
0e816f58.jpg

12b9e9f6.jpg

Non-slip surface: Also to help the little ones get it, I bought "sure step" from Walmart for $8 (you get two strips). They are adhesive-backed EPDM strips with tire tread pattern. I cut one in half to put on each side of the rear door thresholds. I plan to use the other strip for the bottom of my hi-lift jack for more traction when placed on rocks.
79bbfaaf.jpg

14d81616.jpg

ab717ec1.jpg

Snack Holders: I modified two different "back of seat storage things" you can buy at any discount store (Walmart, Target, etc.) I cut them so the headrests go through the tops. At the bottoms there are attachment cords that go into the pouch at the back of the seats, out the corners and fasten to the seat. Modifying them this way keeps them tight to the seat and secure in place. The kids love getting to pack their own snacks for the road. The two big kids (6 and 8) sit on the outside and can pass snacks to the 4 year old in the middle.
bdec5632.jpg

4eb1ffe1.jpg

For those long highway drives to get to the dirt, a DVD player is something we have succumb to. We bought the large 10" screen from Best Buy, that folds into a flat pad. Then I built this bracket with velcro straps to connect the player to. The bracket has slotted ends so that the two seats can still move forward or back. With all three kids, my wife pushes here seat to match mine so the screen faces straight back. When it was just me and my older son going to Moab this May I moved the front passenger seat forward to angle the player so it faced toward the rear passenger seat (where the boy was sitting). Works great and hella cheaper than any other "built in" units.
9e6c15e3.jpg

ead3e432.jpg

And of course to power the DVD player without taking up the spot up front I added some power where the rear ashtray was. Don't think the kids need an ashtray. It took some work, but I got it at the right spot so that the cup holders still work...when nothing is plugged in.
4d6225b1.jpg

d6cf5e76.jpg

Alright...there's got to be some other wacky Dads (or moms) with some creative kid mods to share!! Post them up!

Wyowanderer

Explorer
It's not really a mod, but when I take my nephews and nieces, I always take enough two cell D flashlights for everyone and lots of spare batteries. They have a ball "exploring" the campground, and they're easy to spot while "unsupervised". It gives them a measure of freedom that is comfortable.

rynosurf

Adventurer
I have the same rear husky floormat that you do, that is one of the best kid mods that I have. My kids make a mess!

T.Low

Expedition Leader
My brother in law strapped one bungie hoizontally from the outer edge of one from seat all the way across (behind) to the out edge of the other front bucket seat. It goes across the back of the front seats at about the top of the seat itself (not the head rest).

Then he tied shorter bungies to the first bungie. They hang down vertically toward the floor.

He ties a toy to each bungie, and a drink bottle to one of them.

The kids can reach out and access the toy (or drink bottle) from their kiddie seats and play as long as they want with it, then drop it and pick up a different one

And to think when i was that age, we just stood up on the backseat and played matchbox cars on the back deck of dad's '66 Chevelle 396 SS.

uberhahn

Observer
i used to sleep on the shelf under the rear windshield in my dad's old Skoda, back in the day.

I use my laptop as the DVD player in the Burb. Twins are 4yrs old, and little one is 15mo.

Lot's of toys within reach, drinks within reach...leading to pit stops, but its all good.

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
We put the waffle boards on the floor in front of the second-row seats, two stacked together fit nicely in the Defender 110 because it has a flat floor for the second row. Then we put a rubber mat over them. The end result is the waffle boards are nicely out of the way, and the floor is raised by about 5 inches in the back, so the kids can now reach the floor with their feet. This really reduces complaints about not being comfortable, and keeps them from kicking the front seats so much...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior