Silverton Co, July 4 2008

Cody

Observer
For this 4th ofJuly, I decided to get out of the heat and head up into some big mountains. I have heard the fireworks show in Silverton is a good time, so I figured why not. Our tour guides were some good ffrom Pagosa, and we met with a couple friends from Grand Junction and SLC down there.

All in all a great time. I'm not sure the exact roads we were on but from what I remember, these are the places we explored....

Arrastra Gulch (little giant mine)
Hurricane Pass
Red Mountain (other mines)
Ironton (ghost town)
Alpine loop--Engineer Mountain/Mineral Point?
Animas Forks (ghost town)
Picayne Gulch

I knew there was a lot of mining history there, but I had no idea how extensive it was. Every bowl, every face, every canyon has old mining roads zig zagging up it. It must have been unbelievably difficult work and I would give anything to be able to see some of those old stamp mills in operation.

here are some pics.

Arrastra
standard.jpg

Silverton FD vs. Durango FD water fight
standard.jpg

Lake below the little giant mine
standard.jpg

Only a little snow left up Hurricane
standard.jpg

Hurricane Pass
standard.jpg

Ghost town of Ironton
standard.jpg

old stamps from the Mineral Point mine
standard.jpg

I decided I couldn't pass up a chance to go sledding in July, so out came the garbage bags
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

This is what you will look like before I kill you
standard.jpg

Cody

Observer
Animas Forks Ghost town "biggest city in the world at this altitude (11,600)"
standard.jpg

This stamp mill still had the stamps in place after 105 years.
standard.jpg

Inside the mill
standard.jpg

one of the stamps
standard.jpg

We didn't do anything difficult, but it was hard to pay attention to the road with all of the incredible scenery. next year I'm bringing some snowboards....there were tons of road-gap opportunties all over the place and it would be fun to spend a few hours on the snow again.

A great time. Great enough that if I could find a good job in Durango I would seriously consider making a move since that is the gateway to ************** mountains and ************** deserts.

Let me know if you want more pictures.

Cody

Observer
Sorry, no GPS info.

I'd like to spend some more time up there. I think a dual sport bike would be ideal. You could cover a ton of ground on a bike in that area.

IntrepidXJ

Explorer
Cody said:
I have heard the fireworks show in Silverton is a good time, so I figured why not.

I enjoyed the show......but I stayed out of town for the rest of the festivities.....too many people for my taste

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
Let me know if you want more pictures.[/QUOTE said:
yes..more pics:wings:

I need something to get me throught these damn smoke and ash filled California sky's

Great pics, by the way

bmh

Adventurer
That looks awesome, I need to get my rig running so I can get out and enjoy our beautiful scenery. Great pics, and I hope you never sniper attack me:shakin:

MDZJ88

Observer
Nice write-up and trip! I've seen you over on MallCrawlin as well (FallstonZJ88 though I don't post much over there). Nice nice nice ZJ.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12