slide on camper legs

fg4oz

Adventurer
Hi Guys, hoping to get some feedback re slide on camper legs. We have a slide on box and have had two attempts at wind up legs - both have failed and not been stable. I have seen a few big slide ons with what seems to be an electric motor. Has anyone had any experience with these?

Ben.

Flys Lo

Adventurer
The electric ones (depending on model) are typically the same as the manual wind up ones, just with a 12V motor at the top. How much does your slide on weigh? Did they collapse when the slide on was being stored?

I have happijacs on my slide on (not necessarily the best brand, but one of the cheapest), and they are rated at around 860kg per corner. I also rest the camper on trestles when storing it, but my camper only weighs about 850kg wet. I know some models will handle 1100kg+ per corner

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
If you are looking at electric jacks, there are two brands that I know you can get in Australia; Happijac and Reico Titan.
In my opinion, the Happijac jacks are not as good as the Reico Titan jacks. I looked at both brands very closely before deciding on getting the Reico Titan ones myself.
As far as I know, the Happijac jacks are rated at 680Kg each (1500lbs) and the Reico Titan jacks are rated at 1100Kg each (2500lbs). Both brands mount to the camper in a similar fashion, but the Happijac's use square tubing whereas the Reico Titan jacks use round tubing. From memory, the foot on the Happijac jacks is welded on, whereas the Reico Titan foot is removable.
As you might expect, given the additional capacity of the Reico Titan jacks, they are heavier than the Happijac jacks.
Here there is not much difference in price between the two brands, both being around $2.5K for the complete kits (4 motorized jacks, controller, remote etc.), so it really comes down to which ones suit your setup best.

Jfet

Adventurer
In the flatbed camper we are building we went with the Reico Titan manual jacks (about $650 total for four). I may mod them for electric or just use hand drills (or just realize that I probably will only take off the camper once per month and stay manual).

I did come up with a different mounting scheme that allows the jacks to be quick connect installed so they don't hang off the truck during travel. It also allows about 6 inches of clearance on each side between the flatbed and camper when loading.

jack1.jpg

jack2.jpg

bptp7270

Adventurer
Hi Ben,

I have a home made slide on that has wind up legs. Because I don't use it that often I couldn't bring myself to pay what was being asked for the electric ones, so I bought a set of cheap ($500) second hand ones and modified them to suit my purpose. It seems that the worst thing about all these removable legs is the mounting systems, which seem to allow too much movement. I welded some plates to the legs and then bolted substantial brackets to the camper. Each leg is attached with 3 bolts over a good span and they are set away from the body to allow room to get the tray under it. I have also bolted castors to the legs so that I can push it on to the tray rather than reverse under. The cordless drill or handle work fine. Its cheap and works for me.

Anthony

Hi Guys, hoping to get some feedback re slide on camper legs. We have a slide on box and have had two attempts at wind up legs - both have failed and not been stable. I have seen a few big slide ons with what seems to be an electric motor. Has anyone had any experience with these?

Ben.

Attachments

• IMG_0735.jpg
    IMG_0735.jpg
    532 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0736.jpg
    IMG_0736.jpg
    534.3 KB · Views: 24

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member