Smitybilt Recon Trailer pros & cons.....

supermag

Looking at a used Smittybilt trailer/rtt combo. First expedition style trailer for me, been ground tent camping forever. What are some things I need to look for? I know they're geared more toward the "budget" end of the trailer spectrum. But I can't justify spending what some of these trailers are going for.

Good, bad or indifferent. Let me hear the pros and cons.

Thanks in advance for the help!

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Looking at a used Smittybilt trailer/rtt combo. First expedition style trailer for me, been ground tent camping forever. What are some things I need to look for? I know they're geared more toward the "budget" end of the trailer spectrum. But I can't justify spending what some of these trailers are going for.

I think you might be best off by posting and surfing the very detailed Smitty thread here in this section.

supermag

Thanks, appreciate the info. I found the smittybilt thread a couple days ago. Unfortunately, it was sold out from under me. Seller agreed to the price, I offered to send deposit to hold, and he text me the "I was just offered $7500, can you beat it?"

Some peoples kids.......

trae

Adventurer
Thanks, appreciate the info. I found the smittybilt thread a couple days ago. Unfortunately, it was sold out from under me. Seller agreed to the price, I offered to send deposit to hold, and he text me the "I was just offered $7500, can you beat it?"

Some peoples kids.......

Sounds like a solid negotiating tactics :D

jmmaxus

I’ve seen 4WP store have 10% off them sometimes and some other coupons heck they were giving away a free electric fridge the last time if you bought a trailer bringing the cost down to around similar to what this person was asking but doesn’t come with tent or any other addons not sure what this person had added on.

The SmittyBilt scout trailer has a good suspension and offers a lot for the price compared to other retail models. It’s not an aluminum box and also the storage seems kinda small. The slide outs and what not are designed to accommodate their fridge sizes and gear so I’d pay attention to the dimensions to fit your own gear. There are a few others around this price point Valiant 452 if they are still building them. Building your own is about the only way to find something cheaper in which could end up cheaper and better materials diy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

supermag

Came across a deal too good to pass up....I had started designing/planning a DIY build, but couldn't build and outfit one for what I bought this one for......between the tent, awning & fridge, I couldn't let it pass by. Going to make a few modifications to suit my liking, but first trip out was a win!smittybilt.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12