snow chains grip

madiaz

greetings,

i have a set of 4 chains that i bought last year for snow. Is it worth carrying them around when there is no snow? Would they be useful for sand or mud? or should i just store them untill next winter? In my head i think they would be bad for sand because they would dig you deeper and bad for mud because you don't want fast wheelspin with them on but it's an assumption and i wanted opinions instead of theory. thank you, regards, m.a.d.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Chains are great for mud. On the farm I kept my work Rover chained on all 4 wheels most of the year.

madiaz

greetings Antichrist,

Do you put them on before you are in the mud or when you are already in? do you apply light throttle ? I'm trying to picture if you would use the same technique on the mud like in snow, (very light throttle). thankyou, regards, m.a.d.

Desert Dan

Explorer
In KZ I would take the chains off after Easter. It depends wher you are and what kind of terrain..mud. muck ice, snow etc.

Ooops I'm in So. CA

Too much traction is better than no traction......

datoy

Adventurer
We always carry chains when we are off highway in southeast Utah. There are many locations that you will NOT get out after a rain storm with out chains. Even then it is very difficult. The mud is like grease.

michaelgroves

Explorer
Chains are great for mud.

x2.

In my head i think they would be bad for sand because they would dig you deeper and bad for mud because you don't want fast wheelspin with them on...

Your reasoning is quite correct with regard to sand - chains are generally best avoided.

They work terrifically in mud - revs can be kept lower with chains than without, as they are chunky enough to not become as slick as a tyre would.

Use with more caution in mud than in snow, as they can snag on rocks etc, and break something, either in the drivetrain, or, if the chain breaks, the bodywork.

Also, use them as sparingly as possible - and not at all on environmentally sensitive ground - because they really chew up the terrain and leave it a mess for anyone following.

Last edited:

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Also, use them as sparingly as possible - and not at all on environmentally sensitive ground - because they really chew up the terrain and leave it a mess for anyone following.
x2
If I were just exploring, I'd only put them on as needed. Either, "Bugger, I should really have put the chains on for this." or "There's no way I'm getting through that place without chains. I'll stop for tea and then put the chains on before trying it."

michaelgroves

Explorer
x2
"Bugger, I should really have put the chains on for this."

Ah yes, the joys of putting chains on once you are actually stuck in the slick stuff!

It's not a lot of fun taking the chains off again and stowing them after the muddy section either. There never seems to be a river just perfectly placed where the clay ends and the asphalt begins, with a nice shallow ford to rinse off all the muck. Or am I just unusually unlucky?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior