Softest No-Lift Suspension Setup - 1st Gen Tacoma

PHeller

Adventurer
My truck spends 70% of its time on washboard forest roads. My truck feels like a buckboard on most of the forest roads of Arizona/Utah. Previous owner (a coworker) towed a trailer with the truck, and I think he installed cheap Monroe shocks for towing. I'll have to dig through the book of receipts he gave me.

I do not tow, but I've got a fiberglass Snugfit shell. I'm running 235/75r15 tires on a 1998 SR5 2.7l 5spd with 3.56 gears. I have no interest in doing gears and bigger tires due to cost, mileage and age of vehicle. The truck is painfully slow, the most I could do is make it handle better so it at least can maintain its momentum! The most I'd like to do is springs/shocks (no lift) and a set of wheels with more backspacing/offset. I might consider a mild .5" lift in the rear with softer springs to level when loaded.

thethePete

Explorer
Get good shocks and air down when you hit washboard. Springs are springs. As long as he didn't add any extra leafs to the pack, you just need better shocks.

PHeller

Adventurer
Are there any shocks that are softer than others? I read lots of stories about people getting high quality shocks like Bilsteins on to find that they ride rougher than stock.

Maybe I'll remove my front sway bar as well or get some disconnects.

AaronK

Explorer
I'm running OME 90004 shocks on my gen 1 tundra but they are technically a Tacoma shock. They perform fantastically on washboard. Only about $150 a piece too.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.

irish_11

Explorer
Bilstien 5100's have a good rep. I have a set on my FJ40 and they are pretty smooth. The smoothest suspension I've had was Sway-a-way coil overs on my 1st gen Tacoma. They were made for desert racing and handled bumps well.

WillBeck

Adventurer
Bilstien 5100's are good.

More pricey, but honestly the best solution would be a set of King replacement coilovers, and rear shocks. Have them spec'd with what they call "flutter packs" and lower your psi. Washboard is washboard, it always sucks.

Also, keep your speed above 25, and things smooth out a bit.

Cletus26

Adventurer
My tundra with 285/75/16 even with blown shocks was night and day better when I ran 18 psi in my tires. Now with sway a way coils in the front and dropping the tires down to 18 psi I almost don't even feel it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12