Something odd with a DII horn

g23.40sw

Observer
Had something rather odd happen about 3:45 in the am mountain time. I woke to a 67 pound barking yellow lab jumping of the bed and once I was coherent enough to walk decided to investigate. As I wandered around, heard what at first thought was a tornado siren or horn. Peering out the front window and seeing no wind, I went down stairs and as soon as my foot hit the bottom step a knock on the door. Once opened there stood a mother with her infant child (undoubtedly awoken by the constant horn blaring) stating that it was my horn. I of course run out and unlock hoping that is it was an alarm issue, but alas no such luck. I must say this DII is relatively new to me and am having a fun time learning all about it. To preface this story,I had worked on the inside of the disco earlier that day and hit the horn with my shoulder. At that time it gave a short beep and back to work I went. Now back the the findings thus far, again I tried to deactivate with the remote key no luck, opened the hood went to the battery, all good there. What I did find is that the horn button on the steering wheel had move slightly and was sort of lock if you will in the steering wheel. I found this odd that it had been almost 10 hours since I inadvertently hit it with my shoulder before it decided to start sounding. I have search Expo for DII horn and horn issues and found nothing.

2 Questions:

1. Am I the first to have such an issue?

2. If not, other than the button on the steering wheel should I be looking for any other causes or is it just new operator issues?

Thanks for the advise

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
On my 04, one of the buttons is "bad". It has fallen right out of the wheel once, and threatens to all the time. I have to keep pushing it back in. The tabs on the back are not broken. I dunno, just one of those things.

g23.40sw

Observer
Horn issue continues

Found that the fuse had been basically melted and with that the connection lost, however when I replaced it still had no horn. This morning, again at 4am when I went out to try and stop it, smelled a burning smell that seemed to be coming from the horn units themselves. I checked and no burnt or melted wiring that was visible.

Any thoughts?

yubert

Explorer
I had the same issue 3 years ago. In the middle of the night the horn went off, constantly blaring. At first I thought the alarm was tripped but the car was fine, no signs of tampering.

I disconnected the battery to shut it up for the night. In the morning, I found the left-side horn button was stuck in the on position. I surmised the temperature change must have caused the plastic to change enough to set off the horn.

My fuses were fine...

2 Questions:

1. Am I the first to have such an issue?

2. If not, other than the button on the steering wheel should I be looking for any other causes or is it just new operator issues?

Thanks for the advise

Dmarchand

Adventurer
I had the same issue 3 years ago. In the middle of the night the horn went off, constantly blaring. At first I thought the alarm was tripped but the car was fine, no signs of tampering.

I disconnected the battery to shut it up for the night. In the morning, I found the left-side horn button was stuck in the on position. I surmised the temperature change must have caused the plastic to change enough to set off the horn.

My fuses were fine...

Had this happen as well this spring to my '04. The buttons are fiddly and I believe due to a combo of overnight temp change and a misaligned button, mine went off around 4am in my driveway. I always check the position of the buttons now when I park it at night.

telwyn

Adventurer
I had a similar issue on my old 99 DII. Middle of the night in a thunderstorm the horn alarm goes off. Went outside ready to kick butt thinking my car had been broken into, but it was still locked.

Even with the remote and the key I couldn't get the horn to turn off. Finally had to disconnect the battery. Whenever I reconnected it, the horn would start again.

Oddly the DII's radio was also on and the horizontal part of the dash above the radio had water on it.

Had to tow it to the dealer and their diagnosis and warranty repair was that the hail storm had somehow damaged the front windshield weatherstripping, water had dripped in as a result and caused a short in the radio that somehow turned it on, but didn't short it out.

They also said the horn going off was the result of the volumetric sensor/alarm being triggered by the dripping water.

Not sure I buy any of that :Wow1: but they did reseal the windshield for free and it never happened again...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12