Southern California dispersed camping suggestions

Heading Out

Adventurer
Not "everywhere". ;)

No, but it sure is different than before we had internet, and used a compass and a paper map.

Agreed there are still some places
not overrun with Blockheads, so lets keep them secret as long as possible.

CSG

Explorer
No, but it sure is different than before we had internet, and used a compass and a paper map.

Agreed there are still some places
not overrun with Blockheads, so lets keep them secret as long as possible.
Wait, you used a compass and paper maps? I never did for road travels other than the old road atlas's which never marked forest or BLM roads. I just headed out (still do) in a general direction and see where the road takes me.

jupp0r

This is more of the “everything was better in the old days” talk.

Instead of complaining:

Educate these people who are new on leave no trace principles.

Use it as an opportunity to build your rig and get to places Subarus can’t.

Go to Saline Valley and explore side roads and slot canyons (Maybe wait till Novemberish). I promise you won’t meet any crowds.

You can also look into backpacking. Tons of wilderness out there.

No apologies for people leaving trash, that’s just anti social. You can make up for it by taking some home if you see any though.

Heading Out

Adventurer
Wait, you used a compass and paper maps? I never did for road travels other than the old road atlas's which never marked forest or BLM roads. I just headed out (still do) in a general direction and see where the road takes me.

I like navigation

I lived in the Mojave and we used paper BLM maps and a compass on the dash, when two tracks split
it's good to know the correct one to pick. I'd find something on the map I'd like to see and find it, old mines usually.

I ran road rally's too, go to a set point to see where the check point is, in the dark there would be a flashing
white light in the distance, take a compass bearing and transfer that to a map, find the road the check point
may be on, and get there EXACTLY on time, down to 1/100th of a minute, usually 12-14 checkpoints
over 12 hours time Santa Barbara to Vegas, all back roads . It's harder than it sounds,

This is more of the “everything was better in the old days” talk.

No apologies for people leaving trash, that’s just anti social. You can make up for it by taking some home if you see any though.

Not complaining, I said things a different now, many more people where before there where few.
access to the internet and information is easy to find, coupled with the number of ATV,UTV, SXS's
and 4x4 SUV's and things are indeed different, 30 or 40 years from now things will again be different.

I've been a tread lightly supporter since it was founded. However some people are blockheads and
just don't care. or want to be educated

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman