Southwest by Southwest Arizona - 2022 Year-End Trip

DVD

Adventurer
The problem with sticking with a hobby for a number of years is that it gets difficult to find "new and different." We wanted to do some exploring and camping for the week after Christmas, but we have already done most of the trails and nearby destinations. Death Valley and KofA: been there, done that, multiple times. El Camino del Diablo, Mojave Trail, Big Bend, Anza Borrego: check, check, check, check.

But the good news about these destinations is that no matter how many times you've been there, you can easily find "new and different." Also, I think we stick with this hobby because we enjoy the solitude and natural beauty, and those qualities remain whether it's the first time or 100th time to a specific area. Based primarily on the weather forecast, we set our sights for southwest Arizona, exploring along the Colorado River and then heading into KofA Wilderness Refuge.

We hit paydirt on our first day, with one of the best campsites ever.

IMG_20221228_080812670_HDR (1).jpg
First campsite - on the CA side of the Colorado River a bit upstream from Yuma

I didn't do much research for this trip, but for the first night, I used Google Earth and noted more potential sites on the CA side of the river. I was questioning that decision as we passed an area with 100s of "snowbird" RVs on public land, but continuing north on a 4WD trail, we left the crowds behind and came to some great camping spots.

IMG_20221228_111504508.jpg
Weird lunar landscape then lush wetlands right next to the river

IMG_20221228_080612709_HDR.jpg
Wife and dog enjoying the morning - I didn't even notice the reflection when I took the photo

IMG_20221228_080646120_HDR.jpg
Beautiful sunrise
The beauty and tranquility of this site - enjoying good coffee, watching teeming water fowl - set the pattern for the trip: leisurely mornings breaking camp and enjoying the moment rather than stressing about the day's plans and destination.

IMG_20221228_083031843_BURST000_COVER.jpg
Enjoying a cup of joe and getting input from the dog for planning the day's travels

We eventually packed up and retraced our route to cross the river and back into AZ at the Imperial Dam bridge. We soon passed by the US Army Yuma Proving Grounds and did some sightseeing.

IMG_20221228_120214035.jpg
A nice trio of machines: our son's Taco, our LR3, Uncle Sam's Apache

IMG_20221228_123004383_HDR.jpg
Cool detail on this WW II - era Sherman tank: note the bullet pockmarks

Continuing north along the Colorado River, we soon hit dirt again on the Red Cloud Mine Trail. The trail was pretty moderate but with interesting sights.

IMG_20221228_140116292_HDR.jpg
The first part of the trail goes through the Proving Grounds - Interesting dance-party icon!

IMG_20221228_140651341_HDR.jpg
You never know you'll find once you get off the beaten path

Red Cloud Trail continues to Clip Wash Trail. Unfortunately, I got onto a parallel, more difficult trail with some serious wheeling. Our son got his Tacoma fairly recently and just finished the Icon lift/suspension kit, so this was a good shakedown. Both vehicles did great.

IMG_20221228_152628960_HDR.jpg
Some serious "wheeling" heading north along the Colorado on the AZ side

Still to come: north the Quartzsite then into KofA.

Last edited:

altaboy

Observer
Um, why can't I see the pics? all i see is a grey circular spot with a horizontal line running through it and a grey circle surrounding it.

DVD

Adventurer
Um, why can't I see the pics?

Darn, that kind of negates the effort to put a trip report together. I replaced the (quicker and easier) photo links with uploaded photos. I'm guessing some privacy setting negated the photo URL references. Hope the photos show now.

Peneumbra2

Badger Wrangler
I'm hoping you've gotten to spend some time in Ajo. A great little town (moreso in winter than summer) with interesting people and good coffee, AND it's just a short drive from Why!
(Why not?)

DVD

Adventurer
Got a tranche of photos to continue with this.

Just like they always do, the bad trails just got worse. We handled the rocks OK, but some serious washouts convinced us to turn aound and retrace our steps to Red Cloud Mine and then take the intended route - Clip Wash Trail. This turned into a case of "out of the fire and into the frying pan." Clip Wash is a challenging trail in itself. But it was passable, and we eventually got to our intended camp destination, once again along the Colorado River. Unfortunately, the riverfront was within the Cibola Wildlife Refuge, with no camping allowed. It was getting late in the day, so we backtracked a little bit to BLM land and made a nice campsite.

IMG_20221229_070029152 (1).jpg
Campsite with distant view of Colorado River

Keeping with the theme of following the Colorado River, the next day we proceeded north along the river to Ehrenburg. It was pretty cool that we could travel between Yuma and Ehrenburg without hitting pavement, but from here north the trails were well graded and the river was less "wild," with defined banks. But it was scenic and interesting all the same.
20221229225259_IMG_0412.JPG
Easier trails along the river once we got to Cibola Wildlife Refuge

IMG_20221229_110223513.jpg
As desert denizens, we enjoyed seeing the flowing water as we headed upstream on the mighty Colorado.

IMG_20221229_101230657.jpg
Bridge into California

We made good time on the graded trails along the river and got into Quarzsite around noon. By now, we had been on the dusty trail for a few days, so we found a laundrymat with shower facilities. Quarzsite has a big "boondocker" population in the winter, so they are set up for people coming in from camping and needing a shower.

Clean and ready for new adventures, we headed in KofA Wildlife Refuge for the 2nd part of the adventure.

IMG_20221229_142547407.jpg
Entering KofA - The mountains had a cloud hat

More KofA to come....

DVD

Adventurer
Apologies for stringing this out. On previous posts, I'd reference shared images on Google photos, but that's not working. Image uploads are working, but now I'm running into upload limitations. Gonna finish it tonight.

My wife and I had a couple trips through KofA under our belts, so we tried to hit some new areas to us. First we took MS&T trail to where it ends on the top of a hill. Nice view, but too exposed for camping, so we meandered toward Jasper Springs and found a blue-ribbon campsite (near the spring, but outside the 1/4 mile non-permitted camping restriction).

IMG_20221229_170109733_HDR.jpg
Beautiful campsite, just off the trail

20221230052158_IMG_0451.jpg
Dramatic clouds and beautiful sunset!

20221230054308_IMG_0456.JPG
This is why we do this

IMG_20221229_184215625.jpg
The dog likes hanging out around the fire with the humans, but prefers to do so laying on his memory foam mattress and snuggled into an old sleeping bag

We were greeted with another beautiful day in KofA - clear skies and moderate temps. I'm not sure if this was one of the best campsites ever, or if the great weather and company made it seem that way. But "perception is reality" so it was one of the best ever!

20221230205025_IMG_0472.jpg
Dual Jet Boils and Aero-Presses - don't want a logjam when it comes to morning coffee

20221230200846_IMG_0469.jpg
Love the morning light

After breakfast and breaking camp, we took an extended hike around the Jasper Spring area. Then it was back into the vehicles for more wheeling and new sights. The theme for the day was checking out old cabins in KofA. We continued on Jasper Spring trail to the KofA cabin.

There are a handful of cabins in KofA that are marginally kept up. They all have wooden cots and a woodburner and intrepid travellers can stay in them on a first-come basis.

IMG_20221230_122915468_HDR.jpg
Interesting history

IMG_20221230_122847897.jpg
Interesting smells, I'm sure

After KofA cabin, we were back on the bouncy trail, headed towards Wilbanks cabin, our semi-intended stop for the day. But there were many interesting sights and adventures along the way.

20221231011228_IMG_0496.JPG
Owl Head mountain - see the eyes?
One more reply upload should do it

Attachments

• IMG_20221230_153037726_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221230_153037726_HDR.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 4

DVD

Adventurer
I didn't bring my book of trail ratings on this trip, and thus far, we ended up taking a lot of more challenging trails. In retrospect, I think this was largely due to the fact that we wanted to explore places we hadn't been, and on previous trips, we tended more toward the 3-rated trails over the 5s. On this trip, with blissful ignorance of trail ratings, we ended up on more challenging trails.

IMG_20221230_153037726_HDR.jpg
Bighorn Pass Trail has some challenging bits

With the slow going, it was getting late when we finally arrived at Wilbanks cabin. The cabin was marginal for staying in overnight (lots of holes and mouse droppings), but we enjoyed getting out and exploring the vicinity.

IMG_20221230_155805547_HDR.jpg
Interesting history

20221231040112_IMG_0510.jpg
Cool construction detail: Octillo branches for the patio roof

IMG_20221230_155917519_HDR.jpg
Not very tight against the elements - we decided against staying here

On a previous trip, we had stayed at Hoodoo cabin, which was about 45 min down the trail (fun to go fast on sandy wash trail until you come around a corner and there's a big boulder), so we decided to extend our day's travels and check out Hoodoo cabin. Unfortunately, as we crested the hill to get a view of the cabin, we saw somebody unloading his truck - missed it by that much. Oh well, another night in the tents, with an open fire and the endless heavens above is a fine alternative.

IMG_20221230_175006743_HDR.jpg
Another great dispersed campsite

We were checking NOAA weather periodically this trip, keeping tabs on a big storm headed our way. This night, the 24 hour forecast called for the storm moving in the following night, with significant rain and wind gusts of 40-50 mph. We were planning to camp the night of the storm, but we reconsidered. Our big SUV tent would need the full guy-line treatment, and I wasn't looking forward to breaking camp in the rain and muck and then having to dry everything when we got home. So we decided to take another leisurely morning and then go back a few miles to Hoodoo cabin. If it was empty, we'd stay there and do some nearby hiking and exploring. If not, we could still have a nice, last day in KofA and be home by evening - a day early.

20221231195702_IMG_0543.JPG
Different mood this morning as fog rolled in overnight

After a couple cups of coffee and morning oblations, we packed up and headed to Hoodoo cabin to see if we'd continue our adventure beyond the day. The cabin was still occupied, but as we turned around and said hi to person staying there, my wife asked if he would mind if we looked around. Our son had never been there, and it is a cool place. He was a gracious host, and we spent a few minutes chatting and looking. It had been 8 or 9 years since we stayed there, and it was good to see that the place is probably in better shape now.

IMG_20221231_105048223_HDR.jpg
Interesting history

IMG_20221231_105227930_HDR.jpg
Wood burner and a roof would certainly be appreciated with the storm coming

IMG_20221231_105329617_HDR.jpg
Cool feature (pun intended) with pulley system for the wall panels

With Hoodoo cabin behind us, we had the rest of the day to explore KofA and a nice house to come home to. We took Red Raven trail to Hovatter on our way out. Along the way, the GPX indicated a point of interest, so we stopped to let the dog stretch his legs and sniff new things. It turned out to be an old dam, probably from ranching days.

20230101001543_IMG_0553.jpg
Not very big dam, but you can see the cement at the end of the ravine

DVD

Adventurer
From there, the next stop was Hovatter home location. We had been here before, but it is such an interesting place with a sad history. The family built a home here and the wife was a botanist by hobby. The home burnt down and I recall that a daughter died from burns. Yet the many little touches remain to show their love for the place.

20230101004804_IMG_0561.jpg
Semi-circular driveway defined by alternating cacti and octillo plants

20230101005009_IMG_0564.JPG
Landscaping with stacked rocks defining the circular driveway

IMG_20221231_125557017.jpg
Father and daughter are buried on the hill above the house site

In spite of the sadness, I like to think there are also good memories from when the family lived here, as evidenced by their love of the land.

There were still some bumpy trails and interested sights, but after the Hovatter stop, we set our sights to home and the end of a great trip!

IMG_20221231_152915351_HDR.jpg
Airing up before getting onto pavement - the symbolic end of the adventure

texasnielsen

Outdoorsman
DVD-
Thanks for taking the time to share your adventures. The photos were a great reminder why so many of us maintain this “hobby” ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12