Space between roof rack and the roof.

I’ve got about three inches between the roof rack and the vehicle roof, is there any reason I can’t use that space? Will using it create more wind noise, decrease strength of attachment between the two, etc? I’m thinking I’ll fabricate a way to store my portable solar panels in that space.

Superduty

Adventurer
so the solar panels will rest on the vehicle roof? Or you would build a tray supported by the roof rack that sits closer to the vehicle roof?

NatersXJ6

Explorer
You could easily use that space for solar panels or table. Wind noise might be a problem, depending on vehicle, I would be willing to guess that most air goes up and over the rack off the windshield. Sounds like time for smoke bombs, a GoPro, and a deserted road?

Reactions: plh

pith helmet

good idea. Jscherb has recently posted a project doing this You might want to check out.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I store my Marston mats in the space between the rack and the roof. Maxtrax were too deep to go there. I made rails from angle that the mats rest on (they hang from the roof rack) and slide on the rails in the space. I notice no extra noise and cannot see why solar panels would cause undue concern.
Front Runner makes a table that rides in the space below the rack to work with their roof rack. I followed their example for my own idea for use of the space.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I did something similar when I built the custom rack for my trailer. The next version will be more elegant, but maintain the same principles.

ThePartyWagon

We slide tables under our roof racks. Should work the same for solar panels.

Thanks everyone for the input, I appreciate it. I reached out to Rhino Rack and they said the only drawback is it might create more wind noise. I’ll post a couple photos after I’ve built the rack.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I kept a solar panel in a side out rack under my old Yakima system, not much to it

For that small of a space (vertically), it was really easy to include a fairing to eliminate any wind noise

billiebob

At some point you might create a gap which will build a whistle. I've had that happen by bolting a plywood floor on my round cross bars with the plywood resting on the tower supports creating an air gap of an 1/8". At 100 the whistle was like a siren. Filling the gap with storm door weatherstripping stopped the noise.

But otherwise if the roof paint is protected it is a great idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior