Spied: 2015 Chevy Colorado (10 new photos, taken 7/2013)

Clutch

<---Pass
The 2004 Colorado launched with a 3.5L inline five, but in 2007 they revised it to a 3.7L which bumped the HP and torque up 20 to 242.

I have the 3.7L, and for my use, it has been serving me well. I don't typically carry heavy loads though. Kayaks, bikes, and tents don't weigh that much. The only time I have really felt the engine was a little weak was when I was trying to climb giant sand dunes at Silver Lake MI. The truck's 4 speed transmission could have benefited from an extra gear though.

The new truck will almost certainly get a 3.6L V6, which will probably make 235-288HP in a bigger and heavier truck than the last generation, so I don't know that it will be fantastic either. At least the new truck will get more than 4 gears in the transmission.

null_zpsefc58de7.jpg

Nice Canyon! I followed one to work today, I liked the size of it, not bad looking either, has good lines.

Mechanically, are they really as bad as people make them out to be? or just internet hype?

I did get a chance to drive a V8 version awhile back...what a hoot!

Last edited:

rkj__

Adventurer
Nice Canyon! I followed one to work today, I liked the size of it, not bad looking either, has good lines.

Mechanically, are they really as bad as people make them out to be? or just internet hype?

I did get a chance to drive a V8 version awhile back...what a hoot!

Thanks.

How do you mean people make them out to be bad mechanically?

The 3.5L had some issues with the cylinder heads going bad. GM extended the warranty coverage to help with that.

Like many 4x4s, if you use it hard off road, you are risking breaking something. On these trucks, the front drive shaft and steering rack are candidates for failure, or so I hear. I have been lucky so far.

Mechanically, they are very similar to the Hummer H3.

If not abused, they are capable of going many miles.

Last edited:

4x4x4doors

Explorer
I'm of the opinion that the rep for being underpowered is largely because of the I5 in the heavier H3. I drove s10s and Blazers for years and like the better gas miles and better torque of the I5.

I think the push to keep making the "small" truck bigger is based more on making a bigger cab rather than a bigger truck. My favorite S10 was a regular cab long (7 feet) bed. From the pics, looks like GM may be bringing that combo back.

Clutch

<---Pass
Thanks.

How do you mean people make them out to be bad mechanically?

You're welcome.

Heard the steering rack/ball joints go bad on them rather quick, plus (as you mentioned) engine issues.

And some fit and finish issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998