spring compressor recomendations?

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters

Willman

Wall mounted with a cage!!!!....Wouldn't want to lose an arm or leg.....:yikes:

:REExeSquatsHL1:

HOYTUSA

cruiseroutfit said:
A standard coil compressor simply won't work well on the front Tacoma struts (coil & shocks ;)). Which OME coils are you using? You can either have someone pre-assemble them for you using a strut compressor or a press (with attachments), or compress them using the A-arm. :D

Here are some threads with more info:
http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6462&highlight=strut
http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=643&highlight=strut

Kurt - they are 881's. I like the simplicity of the jack method but I will still need a "strut compressor" :oops: to take the old struts off, correct?

7wt

Expedition Leader
Take them to Pep Boys or some other shop and get them to do it. Just make sure they are aligned correctly. I have done mine several times with a wall mounted compressor and still had something go wrong. A cotter pin that held the compressor closed broke and my top plate shot across the shop and hit some guy in the arms and cut him up pretty bad. I don't want to preach but these things are DANGEROUS! I switched to coil overs so I don't have to screw with them anymore.

cruiseroutfit

HOYTUSA said:
Kurt - they are 881's. I like the simplicity of the jack method but I will still need a "strut compressor" :oops: to take the old struts off, correct?

Nope, undo the lower ball joint mount, and sway bar link, and then undo the bottom shock/strut bolt, you might have to pry it up a bit as you work the bolt out (to avoid stripping it).

HOYTUSA

my bad! I knew I could get them off the truck without the compressor but I will still need it to disassemble the old strut to get the old plate/mount off. So I can reuse the old plate/mount on the new OME strut.

unless someone can recomend a place to pick up a new top plate/mount for the OME strut?

cruiseroutfit

HOYTUSA said:
my bad! I knew I could get them off the truck without the compressor but I will still need it to disassemble the old strut to get the old plate/mount off. So I can reuse the old plate/mount on the new OME strut.

unless someone can recomend a place to pick up a new top plate/mount for the OME strut?

The dealer is the only place that can get them that I've found. I offer them pre-setup when I sell struts/coils, and have the customer send back their "cores" when done... I don't keep any of the new mounts or washers around.

HOYTUSA

i'll have to swing by the dealer this week and see if I can pick up a set. you don't happen to know the part numbers do you?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle