Spring is Here-A Trip to Canyon County

mph

Expedition Leader
It's time...Each year, starting March 1, I begin to watch the weather forecast for the deserts of Utah. Spring in Utah is definitely a roller coaster. A foot of snow here...60 degrees the following day. So, when I saw a promising forecast last weekend; it was time to go!

We started off in Arches. Not in the typical "tourist" area either. We had the place all to ourselves.

DSC_0108.jpg

I found something that caught my eye. A mono...A grinding stone...A tool used to grind corn into flour.

DSC_0046.jpg

We were looking for arches in the backcountry of Arches National Park. Spot it?

DSC_0057 (1).jpg

Lilly had a blast playing on this slickrock playground.

DSC_0061.jpg

We were enjoying a snack when were heard this guy behind us. Such a damn smart bird!

DSC_0080.jpg

Signs of the past were found. Discovery is so fun...

DSC_0101.jpg

We found a killer site overlooking the Green River. Lilly was too busy playing with her diablo to care much.

DSC_0136.jpg

Magic hour was upon us...Juniper trees are so ************.

DSC_0147.jpg

With the fire started, we relaxed a bit. Our dog, Ginger, who is 17 soaking in the final rays of daylight. We always say, "this could be our last trip with her..." But, she keeps on kicking:)

DSC_0173.jpg

The evening light show was fun to watch...

DSC_0179.jpg

More to come...

mph

Expedition Leader
The morning dawned bright and blue...It was gorgeous country. Spring was in the air!

DSC_0205.jpg

We packed and enjoyed the surroundings. Lilly wanted to see if Elsa would fly...The wind was perfect.

DSC_0253.jpg

Slickrock country is made for exploring. Louise and Lilly set off on a hike.

DSC_0260.jpg

They were stopped by a 1,000 plus drop off. The view were crazy-good! Louise and Lilly pondered the thoughts of the day.

DSC_0280.jpg

We set off to explore some more of canyon country.

DSC_0348.jpg

The General Grabbers doing their job...

DSC_0343.jpg

The biggest draw of the desert is the surprise places one discoveries. This slickrock pool was gorgeous. With cattails in the water, we knew that water was in this pothole most of the year. Another month or so, I probably would have gone in for a dip.

DSC_0315.jpg

DSC_0338.jpg

The "road" less traveled led us to a dramatic canyon.

DSC_0360.jpg

You see the road, right? Louise had her doubts. What would we find?

DSC_0369.jpg

More to come...

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Just got home from my short hospital stay and this is exactly what I need...
Your Utah trips with the kiddo, wife and dog are a huge inspiration for me to get out and play.

Thanks for taking all the great pics and for posting them for the rest of us to enjoy.
My boys are grown now but these kinds of trips come up in conversation all the time so know that you are doing a great thing with your girl.

mph

Expedition Leader
Oh man, thanks for the kind words. I really appreciate the thoughts...Should finish it up tonight:)

Just got home from my short hospital stay and this is exactly what I need...
Your Utah trips with the kiddo, wife and dog are a huge inspiration for me to get out and play.

Thanks for taking all the great pics and for posting them for the rest of us to enjoy.
My boys are grown now but these kinds of trips come up in conversation all the time so know that you are doing a great thing with your girl.

mph

Expedition Leader
The "roads" in Utah are just grand. The road must have been graded for the upcoming Jeep Safari. Regardless, we motored down. Just gorgeous country!

DSC_0373.jpg

The bottom provided the desert oasis we were looking for...Clear water and red rock. Anything better? Lilly didn't think so...

DSC_0386.jpg

The canyon road eventually met up with the mighty Green. We had to had to head north along the banks.

DSC_0413.jpg

Utah is full of mining roads. This was no exception. We found an old cable line used to ferry ore and men across the Green back in the day. The Uranium Boom must have been a crazy time!

DSC_0424.jpg

DSC_0435.jpg

After it a hike, we decided to head up and out of the canyon. More to see...

DSC_0460.jpg

Simply sandstone craziness...The "road" was epic!

DSC_0465.jpg

The Land Cruiser took us across the high desert...I was on the lookout for some rock. Well, some rock towers. We began hiking once again...
Found them:)

DSC_0503.jpg

DSC_0510.jpg

Camping on slickrock is what I love. No sand, no dirt...It was a grand evening. Even collected a few "moon rays" on the solar panel that night:)

DSC_0576.jpg

The desert is prime:) Get out there and enjoy! Until next time...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12