Sprinter low roof - does it fit into a container?

elipsoid

Hi,
I have a simple question - does a low roof Sprinter (1999 or later model) fit into a standard shipping container? It seems like it is available throughout the world, so I am considering to get one for my trip. I am pretty sure the 4x4 version will NOT fit, but the 2x4 might. According to the specs it is probably 2" taller than the container door, but these numbers are never accurate.

Has anyone shipped a low roof Sprinter in a container? Or could someone measure the actual height for me?

I have tried the sprinter-source forum, but without any luck. Decisions, decisions...

Riptide

Explorer
I have a Westy Sprinter myself, which is WAY to tall for any container. However, I remember this Sprinter from a ways back that a family traveled around the world in. Under their "Selection" section it mentions that they selected the low-roof 4WD Sprinter, because it would fit in a container...

http://travels.escampette.net/English/Waka Iti.htm

Keep in mind that it is the older "T1N" version, not the current "NCV3" model.

Pat

elipsoid

@UK4X4: thanks for the info, I would like to avoid the high-cubes. They can be hard to find and AFAIK they always come in 40' length.

elipsoid

According to the specs it is probably 2" taller than the container door, but these numbers are never accurate.
Has anyone shipped a low roof Sprinter in a container? Or could someone measure the actual height for me?

Maybe I can help you with reading in exchange for your math lessons? I think I'll keep my €15. Sorry, having a sarcy afternoon ;)
BTW do you really charge 400 USD per hour? :)

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
I'm expencive

now getting back to the real question....

bremach vehicles don't fit either....untill you install little shipping wheels

http://www.bush-sweepers.org/e/bildere.htm

about half way down

bremach_containertest01s.jpg

elipsoid

Yup, saw those before. I'd rather not carry 4 of those across a half of the world, but it definitely is an option. Thanks.
I've contacted the guys Riptide suggested, they probably had to use something like that also, since the 4x4 T1N Sprinter is at least 240 cm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan