Squeaky rear suspension

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
Something in the rear suspension of my DR200 just started squeaking -- loudly -- but I can't work out what it is. It sounds a bit like a squeaky floorboard in a house and seems to be somewhere in the middle towards the bottom where the swingarm joins the frame.

The bike is circa 2004 and has 7700 mostly tarmac miles behind it.

Is there a "usual" suspension part that needs attention or replacement after this sort of age/distance? I can't find anything obvious in the service manual other than checking the shock for leakage which seems to be OK and the swingarm for excessive play which looks like it requires stripping the whole thing down which I'd prefer not to do until I know that's where the noise is coming from.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Graham

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Bush or bearing

Where the main pivot bolt goes through the swingarm / frame there will be either a bronze bush or a bearing. These generally need some maintenance in their lifetime. Removal cleaning and relube may work but usually if you go to all the trouble to pull it apart it is better to replace them while you are in there. If it is a bearing you may want to check and see if contamination has entered somehow and fix that as well.

If it is a bush pulling the swingarm bolt and relubing it may get rid of the noise.

Also check the pivot points for the suspension.

At less than 10,000 miles it should not be worn out.

Now as a warning this advice comes from someone who has not used, worked on or looked closely at a DR in about 20 years :Wow1:

0049.Gif

Last edited:

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Try greasing every zirk you can find in the area.
Then
If try spraying a bit of lube on the cylinder of the shock and then compress the shock a few times.

I had this issue on my NX650 so I sprayed a bit of Corosion Block and the squeek went away. I'm thinking that the rubber seals down inside the shock were a bit dry and dusty.

Regards,
Brian

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12