Storage box suggestions for a double cab.

Winky

Adventurer
I really had my heart set on one of these from ironmansuspension.com

http://www.ironmansuspension.com/accessoriesutebox.html

But i am told that they don't import them into the U.S. I liked that it was plastic (light weight) and low profile.

Now that it isn't an option I was hoping someone has something to suggest for my '02 double cab tacoma. I don't go much for the one's that hang over the bed rails, but utillizing the space above the wheel wells would be a plus but not necessary. I would also like it to be easily removable in case I need use the extra length.

I am mostly interested in what tacoma owners (any configuration) are using so if you could post pics I would appreciate it.

Cheers,:beer:
Josh

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Here is my bed cargo solution. I have the OEM Toyota toolbox which carries tools, spares, and recovery gear as well as many other items. Then, I have the ECS Composites boxes. One is for the kitchen and dry goods, the other has our camp "head" and holds our daypacks. Surplus boxes work great, double as camp furniture, are critter proof, and can be removed when I need to use the bed for hauling.

100_2936.jpg

100_3282.jpg

Last edited:

maxama10

Welcome to Nevadafornia
Have you checked into an aluminum truck chest? They sit inside the bed between the bed rails.

-Max

edgear

aventurero, Overland Certified OC0012
And then there's always the custom drawer system like Desertdude and a few others here have built for their tacomas.

keezer36

Adventurer
You might consider the 644-0-01 from Weatherguard: http://www.weatherguard.com/truck_tool_boxes/view_products.php?subcat_id=15. At 36" across the base, it might be a good fit in an '02.
I initially bought a Delta of the same dimensions but after considering the value of the gear/tools I would be keeping in there, then looking at the cheap latching mechanism and that the box would not sit square by itself and the lid did not fullly seat across the entire gasket, I bought this Weatherguard.
I bought it from White Cap and it cost about 50% more than the Delta.

My preference was not to have something that obscured the rear window. It does have to be bolted from the bottom. I don't know what might be in the way on your '02, but on my '05, I was having to get up on top of the gas tank for one bolt, the other three were fine to access.

DSC00098.jpg

WeatherguardBox003.jpg

WeatherguardBox002.jpg

WeatherguardBox001.jpg

SLOwag

Adventurer
I have the ECS Composites boxes.

TacoDoc - Those cases look nice and stout, any issues with the product. The page I pulled up listed the 33"x20"x20 at 37.5 lbs ($280), I know that's a big case but do you ever find these get too heavy with all of the gear inside?

I also like the handles that you could loop a cable lock through to exasperate the casual thief.

Winky

Adventurer
I think I found what I am looking for.

http://toolboxes4less.com/titan-packer-chests-toolbox-tt230000.html

It is lightwieght, easy to remove, and NOT diamond plate. I have to admit I have a diamond plate phobia.. or as we call it around here, redneck bling. I'm not looking for a box that will withstand an atomic bomb, just a place to keep my tools and recovery gear. I'm also thinking about building some sort of rack on top of it, but will have to wait and see the clearence first.

The price isn't all that bad but I am worried about the plastic warping in the heat. I also wonder if it will support all of my 200lbs. I am going to call on Monday to ask a few questions because I have never seen these boxes before. If anyone is interested I'll let you know how it goes.

Josh

edit: I just noticed it is on a Navara in the photo at the top of the link. I wonder where they are made. It does seem a lot like the box in the original link I posted.

Last edited:

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
TACODOC said:
Here is my bed cargo solution. I have the OEM Toyota toolbox which carries tools, spares, and recovery gear as well as many other items. Then, I have the ECS Composites boxes. One is for the kitchen and dry goods, the other has our camp "head" and holds our daypacks. Surplus boxes work great, double as camp furniture, are critter proof, and can be removed when I need to use the bed for hauling.

100_2936.jpg

100_3282.jpg

What size boxes are those they look great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior