Storage system, Toyota Tundra

nctacoma

Observer
First off,

Thank you Roadtripcrazed for your awesome build, I borrowed many of your ideas.

This storage system is in my 2008 Toyota Tundra. We are on a multi-month road trip looking for a new place to call home. So we are living out of the truck and storage and organization was key when building the system.

Here is the back of the truck
P3100018_1.JPG

P3100020.JPG

The 2 drawers are 6 feet long with internal dividers. They are made out of 3/4 plywood, dadoed and pocket screwed. Face frames are 3/4 birch. Base cabinet is all 3/4. The sleeping platform is 5/8 ply wrapped with indoor outdoor carpet. Behind the drawers is a 2 foot wide trunk that stores all electrical stuff(National Luna Portable Power Pack, blue sea fuse box, 12v oulets, power inverter) as well as providing a ton of extra storage.

P3100019.JPG

P3100023.JPG

P3100021.JPG

In front of the wheel wheels are two access ports from the top that store our shoes and clothes.

The mattress is a foam futon mattresss from Ikea that we cut down to fit the truck bed. The great thing about this is that it folds in half to become a couch if we are stuck in the back of the truck due to weather. We can work in this position on the computer or watch movies.

In the front of the truck we built a platform with storage underneath for tools, computers, dog food etc. On top of the platform is the fridge and out dog, with water storage separating the two.

P3100012.JPG

P3100013.JPG

On the roofrack is a Yakima cargo box, surfboard, and Camping Lab awning.

P3150095.JPG

It was all build in a massive hurry, as we wanted to leave on our trip as soon as possible.

Thanks, as always, for such great ideas from the expo community

YukonRob

Adventurer
Nice work! Any estimate on the total weight of the platform and drawers? I'm thinking of something similar with an eye toward lightweight materials (whatever that means).

Those look awesome! Excellent work. I trust that you will enjoy them as much as we continue to enjoy ours. They will really change the way you use your truck - in a good way!

-=D

Trip Plans?

I just read through the start of your blog and noticed that you are planning to head up to Alaska. If you are planning to head up through Alberta or Eastern British Columbia, be sure to send me a note. I would be happy to share our experiences up there this past summer and you would be more than welcome to a hot shower and a home-cooked meal!

Safe travels.

-=D

Last edited:

nctacoma

Observer
Nice work! Any estimate on the total weight of the platform and drawers? I'm thinking of something similar with an eye toward lightweight materials (whatever that means).

I would guess the total weight is around 200lbs.
This is just a guess. It might be slightly more. It breaks down into numerous pieces, the base cabinet, the drawers, the two pieces of the carpeted top, the separate chest box and top.

If I did it again I could see using a thinner material, maybe 3/8 or 1/2" ply for the bottom of the base cabinet. I did some creative lightening with a holesaw and a jigsaw where strength was not needed.

The slides I took directly from roadtripcrazed. It is just 1" square steel running in-between skateboard bearings. It is so simple and affordable that it is ingenius. Big thumbs up to him for the idea.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
The slides I took directly from roadtripcrazed. It is just 1" square steel running in-between skateboard bearings. It is so simple and affordable that it is ingenius. Big thumbs up to him for the idea.

I agree. I nominate the roadtripcrazed drawer-slide design as the official ExPo DIY drawer system. It's too awesome. If/when I ever build drawers for the Astrolander, that's definitely the way I'm going.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman