Stormtrooper Build Thread

sumnrfam

Wowza, you're getting better mileage than I with the 6.2, I got 9.2mpg from Denver to Alberqueque averaging ~70mph, and from there crisscrossing overland back to LA, mostly off-road and driving mostly under 30mph, I got 10mpg. My old Land Cruiser was half the weight and half the power, and running on 33's got pretty similar milage, so I'm not unhappy about it, but of course would love it to be closer to 30mpg!:ROFLMAO:
Andrew,, Sumo is still on 37’s right?, & are you still on the OEM 3:73’s?
thx, Wade

Macfly

Andrew,, Sumo is still on 37’s right?, & are you still on the OEM 3:73’s?
thx, Wade
Yes, riding on 37's and the stock rear gearing with the 3:73 Electronic Locking rear axel. The automatic box is pretty good on the road using the 'Haul' engine setting, and on the dirt I'm almost always in manual, so changing gears works fine and doesn't seem to need a different final drive ratio

Last edited:

wjackson

Hi - just jumping in to say I enjoyed this thread. I'm the guy who bought the TFL F250 build. I'm a long-time lurker, first-time caller on this forum.
I've been mulling a Bowen bed and so ended up here. Your build looks fantastic.

On the rear suspension discussion... it is hard to get the right spring rate on the rear.
TFL sent me the truck with two sets of leaf springs the '2000 lbs' XHD version installed, and then the lighter-duty version sitting in the bed. (I believe this is because Carli used the truck to test/prototype fitment for the 2020's). The XHD's were far too stiff for me when anywhere close to my base weight. But the lighter duty springs had a bit of sag when I was fully loaded for a trip. (and looked absolutely awful when towing).

Long story short, where I've landed is that I have the lighter-duty springs installed paired with the relatively new CJC custom spec Full Travel air bags. I've got about 14K miles on the air bags, with plenty of offroad along the way. (I've put 60K miles on the truck since I bought it).
It is really, really nice to be able to dial in the rear suspension to the load. I pull the spacer block when doing the type of offroading where I need full suspension articulation. So I don't feel like I'm giving anything up - loaded, unloaded, offroad, highway, whatever.

If I were building this thing from scratch again, I think I would end up in a similar place. I'd try to get springs for a little more weight than my unloaded base weight, and then add the full travel air bags.

Attachments

• PXL_20231119_183202994.jpg
    PXL_20231119_183202994.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 34

malimish

Thanks for sharing your build. We wondered if we could do a 1-ton regular bed with a flatbed FWC Grandby and this is the closest thing I've seen yet.

Phew, I've had an account here since 2015, and 9 years later I finally got my first post!

Last edited:

eyemgh

Hi - just jumping in to say I enjoyed this thread. I'm the guy who bought the TFL F250 build. I'm a long-time lurker, first-time caller on this forum.
I've been mulling a Bowen bed and so ended up here. Your build looks fantastic.

On the rear suspension discussion... it is hard to get the right spring rate on the rear.
TFL sent me the truck with two sets of leaf springs the '2000 lbs' XHD version installed, and then the lighter-duty version sitting in the bed. (I believe this is because Carli used the truck to test/prototype fitment for the 2020's). The XHD's were far too stiff for me when anywhere close to my base weight. But the lighter duty springs had a bit of sag when I was fully loaded for a trip. (and looked absolutely awful when towing).

Long story short, where I've landed is that I have the lighter-duty springs installed paired with the relatively new CJC custom spec Full Travel air bags. I've got about 14K miles on the air bags, with plenty of offroad along the way. (I've put 60K miles on the truck since I bought it).
It is really, really nice to be able to dial in the rear suspension to the load. I pull the spacer block when doing the type of offroading where I need full suspension articulation. So I don't feel like I'm giving anything up - loaded, unloaded, offroad, highway, whatever.

If I were building this thing from scratch again, I think I would end up in a similar place. I'd try to get springs for a little more weight than my unloaded base weight, and then add the full travel air bags.

Variable weight is a tough nut to crack. Like you, I think it’s best, but not perfectly handled with bags. They’re a little more boingy, but variable. It’s hard to do anything else.

We run at a near constant weight, so our custom Deaver pack is perfect.

eyemgh

Thanks for sharing your build. We wondered if we could do a 1-ton regular bed with a flatbed FWC Grandby and this is the closest thing I've seen yet.

Phew, I've had an account here since 2015, and 9 years later I finally got my first post!

Congrats on your first post! 🥳

I think the 1 ton is the way to go. We got into this when a Raven pushed our Silverado 1500 right to its GVWR.

Kingsize24

The OG and still the best IMO. 👌

Your truck inspired us to take the leap with Bowen and Hallmark. We couldn't be happier, and this still remains one of my favorite builds of all time.

Jason

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12