Strange clunking sound in rear axle…not drive line slack.

tulip and others are right as far as the common culprits (sp?) go. I run an off-road shop and no matter what I'm looking at on a TJ I always rock it side to side to check front and rear track bars. Also if it's lifted the track bar relocation brackets are often loose.

Just my .02

Josh

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Checked all the shocks, trackbar, sway bar, control arms. All bushings seem fine, all bolts tight. Pulled the axle today and everything seems fine. Bearing looks good, splines look good...etc.

Questions:

1. Should the bearing race in the axle housing just slide out by using your fingers?
2. Should there be any In/Out movement of the axle?
- I was able to push/pull the axle while the retaining plate was fully bolted and there was just the tiniest bit of play. I'm talking just enough to tell, but not even enough to say it moves a millimeter. Could the bearing Retaining Ring have slipped?

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I just wanted to let everyone know I found the culprit. It was a bad JKS lower rear control arm. The bushings are fine. It is the threaded portion in the middle. I can pull and push the two halves apart and it makes a nice little sound. Now that I have replaced my 2 lower rear control arms the noise it gone.

I have contacted JKS to see what can be done. None of the other 3 lower arms are the 4 uppers exhibit this behavior.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12