stupid idea?

Redd

hey all, a thought occured to me, while thinking of a box body to mount on the back of whatever vehicle is settle on.

would a refrigerated box be good for use as a camper?

if its designed to keep cold in, then it follows that it will also keep heat in, and cold out.

am i missing something here?

regards,
redd .

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Insulation would be a good thing. The problem becomes how much is enough? The added weight is not something you need unless you are keeping the cargo frozen. Weight spent on insulation is weight that could be spent on other more valuable components.
The vehicle weight "wallet" is a set value. It is for you to decide how to spend it.

Redd

as i look around here in Ireland, most the box bodies are made with aluminium frames, the non refrigerated ones are made from grp. so they are weight concious. weight = money to a haulier. im not sure what materials are used in the refrigerated units.
im thinking a fairly small one, to go on the back of a light commercial, so ive 3.5 tons to play with.

ive read most of the nice purpose built units (German rigs etc.) are a grp / foam sandwich. having looked around the net, i cant find any to buy, nor any info on this technique. I've seen the nidacore stuff, but its hard to get in europe, and looks a ***** to work with.

i was thinking a refrigerated unit takes a lot of the figuring it out, out of it. it would also be fairly stealth.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
I think it's a great idea. Hopefully LukeH will chime in here. IIRC he's cutting up a refer box to build a custom camper box out of.

Redd

something like this for example

kbrvhe.jpg

35n936b.jpg

20jfu6t.jpg

bfqbn5.jpg

mounted on something with 4 wheel drive. most of the work is done.
id even take out the guts and leave the plastic shell of the fridge unit attached, to make it look authentic

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
id even take out the guts and leave the plastic shell of the fridge unit attached, to make it look authentic

I would leave it in for A/C! (if it can used for that without freezing you out!)

Or replace it with a heater/AC unit!

It would be stealthy, and if you can do it without to much weight added, I say it's a great idea!

Redd

the construction looks a bit dubious on that one, its not the best example, but roundabouts that size, appearance etc.

that van is currently 800 gbp on ebay. you can find refrigerated box trailer units also.

hinocairnseclipse

the only drawback i can think of is ventilation...
but in a cold cold winter I guess stuffy can suddenly become cosy ;)

I say do it! :D
Chameleon style!

You can even make it pay its own way by transporting cold cuts!
And roadkill suddenly has extra value ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12