Subaru Forester Modz for a Light Expedition Rig

MountainBiker

Experience Seeker
Not too many updates or mods have been added, but the Subaru is still surviving! I'm heading out tomorrow for 1.5 weeks in Northern Arizona and 4 corners, so I'll have to send an update after the trip.

MountainBiker

Experience Seeker
Well, it is time to move on. I just purchased a 2000 4Runner LTD, which will replace the mighty Fozz.

It has been a great vehicle, introducing me to a slower pace off the highway (compared to my countless thousands of miles "off highway" on motorcycles), giving me time to enjoy the scenery.

If anyone wants any parts from the Subie, let me know. The lift will come off soon when I replace the struts, and the front and rear bumpers are available for trade, as I no longer have the original bumpers.

Applejack

Explorer
Interesting......... I am looking to get out of a 3rd gen limited and into a Fozz. Why did you decide to make the switch?

Bdiddy11

Adventurer
What kinda MPG were you getting with the lift/tires?

I've been looking at a more fuel efficient light off-roader...namely the Forester (needs to be modded to look remotely decent), Impreza Wagon (lifted), Jeep Patriot and weighing other options for AWD vehicles...

My wife and I aren't hard core and we've got a 16 month old baby we bring along so nothing too crazy. But it'd be nice to actually be able to travel distances without getting bent over at the pump every time.

MountainBiker

Experience Seeker
I hate to be the one to tell you, but if you get a Subaru of the 2002 era, here is what you get:
-put on some decent A/T tires, 215/65-16 are the largest that fit
-add a 40 mm lift
-make sure you have an auto transmission, because the 5 speed cannot cope with steep offroad terrain (and the open center diff of the 5-speed is worthless offroad, while with the auto trans you can "lock" the center clutch pack by doing some wiring modifications)
>>> you will get below 20 mpg city, and 25 mph on the freeway (best case), if you keep it at 65 or below

MountainBiker

Experience Seeker
Main reasons for switching to the 4Runner:
- Subaru gas mileage wasn't great (see above)
- Lack of a locking front or rear diff, and poor articulation (even without anti-sway bars) means that you get diagonal wheel spin quite easily
- My Forester, and others of the same era, have undersized radiators, so it overheats when climbing a steep dirt road in the summer. Add a turbo and it gets worse, because Subaru doesn't upsize the rad for the turbo model...
- no easy way to protect the vulnerable auto trans pan (and the 5-speed manual just doesn't work offroad, unless you are only interested in smooth dirt roads)
>> keep in mind that I have heavily modified the front and rear bumpers to improve clearance. Combine this with the locking center clutch pack mod and the lift, and the Forester is quite good on moderate offroad trails, until a tire lifts in the air.

I don't want to mislead people, this car has been great for getting me offroad without using a motorcycle. In the car, I went slower, and enjoyed the same areas I had taken my motorcycle, but or course at a much slower pace. This was great, since the lower speeds helped me to appreciate new things. And I liked being able to plenty of carry camping gear so I can camp wherever, and enjoy the solitude.

The stock 4runner has similar ground clearance to my modified Forester (measured from the lowest point), has a little more space, but it has way more articulation AND the locking rear diff. The gas mileage so far is about the same around town, and ~15% lower on the freeway. It will get worse once I add some A/T tires, but it is still quite close while providing a lot more capability.

YMMV

Last edited:

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
WOW, a Fozzy owner flips on us in mid thread! LOL I took my stock 04 out on a fire road and went slow, it was fine and comfortable. I'd like the mods of the OP but not sure if sinking more money in it will turn out to be the vehicle I expect. No rock crawling, but getting over a ditch wouldbe nice. Two things I don't like, running out of gas just below the half tank mark and weak fan on A/C with the climate control, almost nothing in 100+ degree heat. Other than that it can make me smile.

ducktapeguy

Adventurer
Say it isn't so! You still had one of the best modded foresters I've seen. We'll have to do another trip one of these days.

MountainBiker

Experience Seeker
Thanks DTG! The Subaru took me a lot of great places, but it was time to get something a little more capable. I've been wanting to do the Mojave Road again, and there are many, many other places on my "to do" list, so yes, lets do another trip sometime!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12