Summer Overlanding in Nunavut at 69 deg. N. Latitude - The Search for the Tomb of Captain Sir John Franklin Continues!! (part 1)

NOPEC

Thanks for posting - I can't wait for Part II.

What was the weather like?

It was generally great weather, considering we were 3 degrees north of the Arctic Circle. The wind was persistent and usually cold due to the offshore sea ice but it sure kept the bugs away. We had been warned about (and were ready for) a lot of precipitation in the form of driving rain and sleet but there was virtually none. The folks we were with were very surprised that the weather was so nice. We were just lucky I guess.

Daytime highs were generally pushing 20 C. with lots of clear skies and sun, nighttime pushing down towards low single digits in C. Early in the trip in July we had 24 hrs of sun but that changed pretty quickly to the sun dipping below the horizon at night, leaving a sort of twilight.

johnnyrover

Observer
oh the memories, we canoed a number of northern Canadian rivers, including my favorite the Thelon. Greatly appreciate the post.

NOPEC

oh the memories, we canoed a number of northern Canadian rivers, including my favorite the Thelon. Greatly appreciate the post.
Ha, yes the Thelon. We had planned to do it at the beginning of Covid but got caught in the fuel price surge. With two hardshell kayaks, we needed a Twin Otter to fly in for the drop off and then do the pick up in Qamani'tuaq, it was going to be like CDN$35K just for the flights (which in fairness, would have included one dropped food cache). It is waay cheaper to do a guided, all in trip (albeit shorter) which we will probably consider when we get old,maybe....... :)

That river remains tops on my partner's wish list, for the wildlife if nothing else, so it will happen one way or the other......

Last edited:

smlobx

Wanderer
Having earlier this year sailed to 72 degrees South all the while reading Shackleton’s Autobiography has led me to a great appreciation for all Polar explorers.
‘Looking forward to the next installment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior