Suspension Question

HawaiianDC

While I await the arrival of my 2009 DC 4x4 Tacoma...I have a question or two before I by my suspension lift. I am currently planning on buying 2.0 Fox COs with TC UCAs for the front and Deaver, Alcan or All-Pro rear leaf springs. Oh, my wheels will be 285/75/16 or 17s...So should I get a 1.5 or 3.0 inch rear lift? Do the above springs just provide "flex" or carrying capability? I plan on having a rear storage box with a RTT.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
I would skip the all pro rear springs. They are not designed for carrying alot of wieght. Go with either Alcan, Deaver, or OME springs.

I have a gen 1 Taco and run OME in the rear and have been very happy.

I think you might also consider 2.5 shocks up front. If you are planning on running south to Mex or doing long trails here then you will be a happier as well. The added cooling benefits of the 2.5 vs the 2.0 shocks is noticable. So if it is in your budget you will be very happy with them.

Suspension is one area that you do not want to skimp with the long distant trips that most folks on hear try to do. Especially when loaded with heavy gear.

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
3" in the rear might be too much lift, unless you want a significant rake in your stance. I think 1.5 -2" would be good for a level stance.

I agree with Nullifier on the springs - OME has a good reputation for balancing flexibility with load-bearing characteristics. Deaver "tends" to be better with flex, at least with their standard "off the shelf" varieties. But keep in mind that you have the ability to "customize" your spring pack based on your needs by adding/removing leafs from the spring pack to adjust for lift, weight-bearing, and flexibility behaviors.

madizell

Explorer
Ask each of the spring providers what the weight rating of their springs is, or what the pound/inch resistance rating is, and you will know what they are expected to bear in extra weight, assuming you also know what the stock springs are rated at. There are a number of places on the net where you can find correct formulae for determining the rate needs of your springs based on the load you intend to carry. Lift, on the other hand, has nothing to do with load rating unless you have accomplished lift by use of overloads or AAL style leaves. A properly designed spring, leaf or coil, will both bear the load you need and provide the lift you want. Rather than shopping by brand and hoping that what you get is what you want, shop by spring parameters, availability, warranty or reputation, and price. I would expect Alcan or Deaver to be able to build what you need. I would expect OME to simply sell you what fits your truck. Not the same thing.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Alcan and Dever are great springs, but cost more than teh OME's and how much better they are is debatable. OME has far and away the BEST performance per dollar ratio out there. For a small lift, I'd go OME. I personaly am very happy with the OME shocks I decided to run as well, but I have heard varrying opinions as to the ride quality... To each their own eh ;)

Cheers

Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior