Swapping a '99 Gen 2.5 Rear Locker into a '95 LS Gen 2

shermanhelmsley

Today I came across a 1999 Gen 2.5 nearby thats being parted out. I'm hoping to make it over this afternoon to check it out.

Curious to know if its possible to swap the 2.5 rear locker into my LS...and if so what that would constitute? My current rear diff has a 4.636 ratio, and I believe the '99's had a 4.9.

If I change out the rear, the front will need to be changed too? Will I only need to change the gearing, or do I swap the whole housing and everything else. Also how difficult would it be to remove, I may be doing this in someones driveway. I'm new to this, so any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

montero98ls

Observer
I think those came with the 4.2 gears..I've heard that the locking thirds use a shorter axle on one side so you'll have to snag that too. You need to swap the front to match. You can swap the whole thing. I think eurosonic did it. I would double check gear ratio though. I personally wouldn't put in the higher gearing for a locker but that's just me. I'm sure someone else with more knowledge will chime in.

montero98ls

Observer
Also the rear is super easy to swap. The front is pretty straight forward as well. With anything really depends on your skill level.

jlocster

Explorer
97-2000 have 4.27 gearing, better would be to find a locker from a 95/96 SR that has 4.63 gearing to match your front diff. Unless you're trying to maximize highway mileage, most would consider it a downgrade to go from the 4.63 gears you currently have to 4.27s from a Gen 2.5.

montero98ls

Observer
Ya that would be best of both. You get to keep your gear, get a locker, and only have to swap the third member and an axle. Be easier and cheaper. Obviously you'll need a pump and such but still cheaper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman