Tacoma Topper Recommendations?

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
I would call AT and look at the new flip packs they are selling. Very nice!

Yep, I did and I REALLY like them but it would set me back about $4,000... and since I'm going to an AT eventually I'm not sure thats the right direction for a topper yet.

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
I gotta throw a vote for the ARE with the windoors. Great styling, and great functionality with the windows that slide and open. That's what I'd do if I was going hard shell.

Dusty T.

Observer
It's an earlier Taco, but my '02 came with I believe is an ARE Z series canopy. Not cheap from what the original owner told me. Pros: I do like the tilt-out windows and the rear window bear claw to "D" ring type latches seem to be very secure, and for what it's worth, the styling looks good. Cons: Leaks, leaks, leaks! It took me multiple storms and washes to figure out how to seal the rear hatch, as water would run down around the weatherstripping guiding it directly into the bottom corners where the hatch meets the tailgate. Some foam tape, and replacing the factory bulb tube weatherstripping that was slightly longer to guide the water away took care of it for the most part. Water also ran in around the metal trim in that same area, which soaked the carpet along the rear rim of the canopy. And the third brakelight leaked where the wire came through the roof. Some carefully applied RTV sealant took care of those issues without it looking unsightly. It still lets a few drops of water in, but it never makes it over the bedliner- as good as it gets anyway.

I've been eyeballing the CabHi by Snugtop. One with the integrated roof rack would be sweet. My old Ranger came with this late '80's Snugtop fiberglass canopy, and after I removed the paint scuffing rubber boot around the front and replaced it with plexiglass to let it "free float", it was bombproof. And like the CabHi, it looks like it channels water over the tailgate and not into it! Snugtop makes good stuff.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Snug Pro

I am really liking the SnugPro, although my impression of the SoCal dealers via email so far is less than adequate. Nevertheless, this is the direction I'm heading.

I'm thinking about one of these in the Hi-Liner model, color matched, with solid fiberglass front (no window since the fold down front window is not an option with the toolboxes), toolbox sides with full horizontal shelf and half vertical dividers and all the interior lighting options, and solid fiberglass rear hatch. Simplicity and utility.

This in conjunction with the very real possibility of a trailer in the future will be a good setup. The FlipPac is my second choice, but for the additional cost of a FlipPac (about $4000 vs $2000) and the fact that we need a trailer anyway, the money saved by going with the SnugPro can go towards the purchase of our trailer.

http://snug-pro.com/snugpro.html

Here are the options they list on the SnugTop site for the SnugPro:

Options
3 MODELS TO CHOOSE FROM:

CAB-HI - SNUGTOP's classic model. The cap's roofline extends from the cab and offers gently curved lines to enhance the look and aerodynamics of the truck.
HI-LINER - Offers extra height for added cargo space. The roofline slopes higher than the truck cab. A larger rear door offers easier access to the truck bed.
XTRA VISION - Contemporary styling, with enlarged all glass tailgate, and automotive-style rotary latch locking system are the main features of this cap.
SIDE WINDOW OPTIONS
• Solid fiberglass side access door (as shown)
• Solid sides, no windows
• Windoor-tinted safety glass (as shown)
• Sliding glass window
FRONT WINDOW OPTIONS
• Solid front, no windows
• Sliding window
• Fixed window
• Fold-down fixed or sliding window*
• Fold-up window* (full size trucks only)
*not available with tool box option
TAILGATE OPTIONS
• Double handle or flush handle with glass (not shown)
• Fold out T-handle with fiberglass panel
• Double handle with fiberglass panel
• Flush handle with fiberglass panel
COMMERCIAL OPTIONS
Rack Options:
Rack-It lumber rack- 500lb. weight capacity
Hauler commercial rack- 300lb. weight capacity
(See dealer for other available rack options)
TOOL BOX SPECIFICATIONS:
• 100 lb. weight capacity per box
• Available in widths of 44”, 56” and 72”
• Depth is 16”
Tool Box Options:
Aluminum tool boxes can be located on driver side or passenger side
Skid resistant tool box pad (1 per box)
SNUGRug headliner on the outside of the tool box to match inside interior carpet option
12V interior tool box lights (2 per box)
Shelving Options:
Open
Horizontal Center w/Half Vertical
Center Vertical
Horizontal w/Full Vertical

Last edited:

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
This foreplay is killing me. Just get back to CPCA and start working on the truck. When SECDEF gets back we're going to cut this deployment short.

DarkHelmet

Adventurer
RTT Support?

Are any of the "standard" fiberglass toppers strong enough to support an RTT with occupants?

After my last trip in the rain I would really like a topper for the bed to keep gear dry, but I would also like it to support an RTT with occupants if possible.

- DH

deadbeat son

Explorer
Did you ever decide on which topper you're going with? I decided on a Leer 100XR. Like you, I was looking at Leer, SnugTop, and ARE. Based on photos, I just didn't like the profile/fit of the ARE (with the exception of the Z series which is more than I wanted to spend) so that left me with ST and Leer. I was having a tough time deciding between the two when a local dealer offered a special on the Leer 100XR (full glass back window) with all of the options I wanted at $100 less than the base price of the topper. That made my mind up for me; I ordered it today and it should be here in a couple of weeks.

I'll post up with fit, sealing, etc info when I get it installed if you haven't already purchased one.

Arctic Taco

Adventurer
My preference ARE- DCU mine is a 29" high, full length doors both sides (this is on a 2001 Dodge-8' bed), seals pretty good, both dust and rainwise. On my 98 Tacoma also has an ARE -TW series (from an 86 for $275.00) fits pretty good for one not bought new. Side windows don't leak, and a small leak in the front window weatherstripping.
It will eventually be replaced with either an ARE or Snug top contractor cap. I like the taller topper.
Good luck

paddlequest

Adventurer
I have a Leer 180 mid rise canopy on my 2012 Taco DCLB. It has been good up until now. I am about to do a long drive down to Nicaragua and El Salvador for work and life starting in mid to late June. My truck is pretty ready to go, but will get an All-Pro double swing away rear bumper and possibly a new canopy. Here is as it sits now...without the trailer...it went back for horrible warranty issues.

IMG_0844.jpg

I am seriously thinking of swapping out my canopy for an ARE DCU model with double barn doors on the back. All aluminum units that seem to me to have better use of space, security, weight carrying capacity, ease of camperizing the interior, increased durability, etc etc etc. I am thinking of something similar to this model:

IMG_1908.jpg

Does anyone out there possess information that might convince me this is a good decision one way or another? I really appreciate the help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman