Tacoma trailer tower questions

Ridgewalker

Adventurer
I have a 2003 DC Tacoma V6. I just purchased a 2008 Airstream 20' Safari :wings: which has a GVW of 5000 lb. I know the Taco is rated at 5000 lbs, but that is at sea level and I live and travel between 5000 and 11,000 feet.

I was wondering if anyone else tows with the same size Taco at the same altitudes. If so, how does your Taco do?

I am currently going to tow with my F250 SD diesel, but it is just too big for some of the trails I take after parking the trailer.

Does anyone tow the same size trailer with a new Tacoma and how does it do?

Thanks in advance for any input.:bowdown:

Rexsname

Explorer
We towed a 26' 5th wheel for about 8 months with our 2001 V6 Tacoma. It wieghed 5600 lbs. The Toyota did fine on level ground but did NOT like the hills, going up AND going down. Never could get the brake controller to feel right. It seemed the the engine would make more heat than the radiator could get rid of. We got a Dodge 1500 with the 318 V8 for a tow vehicle in order to step up from the Toyota. The Dodge was only better in one area, cooling. It didn't accelerate better than the Tacoma, didn't 'handle the wieght' better didn't stop better. But it didn't get hot either.

When you see the trailer next to your truck it will seem big..........when it's in the campground it looks Sooooootiny!

Hope this helps....

REX

buldyourown

Observer
I'm always horrified at what I see people trying to tow with undersized vehicles. I wasn't impressed with what my '07 felt like with a trailer full of compost. I can't imagine a 5600# 5th wheel. How did you even hook up a 5th wheel on a Taco?
I saw a horrible wreck the other day involving a Jeep Cherokee towing a rather large boat. I don't know what happened, but I would be willing to bet that it wouldn't have happened with a 1ton truck.

Personally, I wouldn't tow anything other than a tent trailer or a utility trailer with a vehicle smaller than 3/4 ton diesel. They just don't have the muscle, weight, or brakes to control a heavy trailer.
I bet your gas mileage will actually be better with the powerstroke too.

Rexsname

Explorer
I never said it was a good idea.................. ;)

I was allways taught that speed was the enemy when towing, I drove it like it was made of glass.
Mileage was about 10 or so with either the Toyota or the Dodge. After the Dodge 1500 we upgraded to a 2500 with the Cummins diesel. Mileage went up to about 17 when towing the same 5th wheel.

I think that towing a 5000lb GROSS trailer would be doable on a 'once in a while' basis. The trailer would likely be lighter than that for an off the beaten path weekend.

REX

Rexsname

Explorer
Altitude

I just re-read the part about the high altitude. If you are only going a short distance and are not in a hurry.......it MIGHT be Ok. If you have to do high mountain passes or go a long way........nopey.

I really should read more carefully :oops:

REX

Accrete

Explorer
This is in line with a poster above suggesting what might be "proper" to pull behind a TACO...and not maybe the answer you were hoping for in your original question.

My wife and i spent ~two years looking at trailer after trailer. We wanted something we could take dispersed-camping with us on fire and logging roads behind our 07 TACO (v6). Our solution was the Aliner Easy. This last trip to Quartsville Creek Mining district (east of Sweet Home Oregon) we stopped at the scales and our maxed out trailer came in at 2300 lbs.

The TACO is my wife's daily driver, and since i like doodlin' with the navigation gadgets she drives when we go on our adventures. She says that it is easy to forget the trailer is back there. We've taken the rig on some trails that were quite rutted, and the Aliner did just fine following the TACO. Highway driving speeds and passing up hills are also no problem.

Bottom line is our little A-Frame-In-The-Woods is fantastic. Secure (it is a hard sided pop-up), cozy, roomy, and it goes where we want to. . . out in the wilds away from the crowds. This trip we came home with some gold, jasper, agate, and Oregon jade.

Whatever your decision i hope your trails are happy : )
Thom

Bergger

Explorer
I also have a 2003 Toyota Dbl Cab and live in Colorado. I would not recommend pulling that trailer with your Toyota. I just recently sold my popup but did tow it for almost 5 years with my Tacoma. It weighed in at about 2700 lbs and the truck handled it great on the level ground but slow up the 11-12000 ft passes, 30-40 mph with the pedal mashed. A 5000 lbs trailer is going to cause problems for your truck and you. Coming down the passes is another concern I'd have. I'd keep your trailer weight at 3500 lbs or under for that truck here in Colorado.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior