Tailgating

86cj

Explorer
A tailgate shelf was one of the first things I made for my LJ. It get's used almost as much as the tailgate handle.....

A favorite use is when loading the cooler at the gas pumps, it keeps fumbling to a minimum.

I used stainless for my shelf and was lucky to have my buddy who welds for a living, say "let me TIG it at work" and it will be sweet.. I put a lip around the edge so things won't roll off when unlevel and used square tube to space the shelf out a little when closed, so air can get to the tailgate vents.

I used a simple stud and wingnut to hold shelf up and a piece of chain with an anti-rattle cover to hold the weight. I had planned to make a cool latch and folding supports to hold the weight, but this seems to work OK. I can open the shelf quickly by spinning the wingnut off with one finger, (I keep spares) and the chain is not as much in the way as you would think. I am sure I will add side supports to hold the weight but the wingnut on the stud works really well holding shelf closed and rattle free..

On my LJ tailgate the center is easy to access by removing the plastic vent from the outside, it's great for getting to your mounting bolts. The ends will require rivets which I used or nutserts. Look at the ORTT shelf's mounting bolt pattern, I bet it mounts in a couple minutes.

Here are the pic's asked for:

Attachments

• Tailgate shelf.jpg
    Tailgate shelf.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 65

TD64

Adventurer
The table looks very handy. I'd like to see some pics of the tailgate stop.

Okay, tonight, I installed the Rugged Ridge Tailgate Stop.

rrtstopIMG_4790.jpg

I added my own custom lock knob due to the ORTT tray table hitting the supplied large lock knob (big time interference with the tray!).

rrtstopIMG_4794.jpg

Closed and ready to roll!

rrtstopIMG_4795.jpg

TD64

Adventurer
I used a simple stud and wingnut to hold shelf up and a piece of chain with an anti-rattle cover to hold the weight. I had planned to make a cool latch and folding supports to hold the weight, but this seems to work OK. I can open the shelf quickly by spinning the wingnut off with one finger, (I keep spares) and the chain is not as much in the way as you would think. I am sure I will add side supports to hold the weight but the wingnut on the stud works really well holding shelf closed and rattle free..

On my LJ tailgate the center is easy to access by removing the plastic vent from the outside, it's great for getting to your mounting bolts. The ends will require rivets which I used or nutserts. Look at the ORTT shelf's mounting bolt pattern, I bet it mounts in a couple minutes.

Here are the pic's asked for:

That is nice! (note to self - remove outside vent and vacuum up the metal shavings.)

pete.wilson

Adventurer
Hey

What is the approximate dimensions of the tray and it's lip? Nice looking setup. A little non-slip mat in the bottom could be useful. Thanks.

Pete Wilson

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger