Taking the Family to Laguna, Philippines This Summer

Ronct110

Adventurer
Staying in the province of Los Banos in Laguna.

Primarily to visit my wife's family and the University of the Philippines w/interest in their research center.

Time frame: summer (our summer here in the USA - rainy season over there). Length 2 weeks.

Only stopping in Manila for airport service/fly-in/out. Otherwise, will try to get out of the city asap and staight to the province.

My memories of Manila 25 years ago - I recall insane driving, busy and crowed streets. Scary exp driving in a two lane street turned into five and seems no rules. And once out the city it was much better

Since my wife, and 2 boys (6 and 8 yr olds) and I have limited time, any travel tips, places to visit, and activities suggestions that's kid friendly yet on the adventure side would be appreciated.

We're open to ideas from e.g. trekking the jungle (maybe just me and my 8 year old; although my wife is tough - she and I have been camping in Northen jungle of Thailand), or check-out wild life (spent some time at an Orangutan Santuary in Sepilok).

Or just chilin at the beach. But probably can only do that for a couple of hours, then bored; rather snorkel or seek more active things to do.

Mount Makiling is not far I hear for hiking - although I have not been there.

Bohol is a domestic flight away... I hear worth the trip.

Also any Expo members here belonging to the Land Rover Club of PI? Want to see what trips they have lined up during my visit -perhaps ask for shot gun ride, and share the cost of their trip e.g. fuel.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
My friend Robbie is a member of the LR Philippines club. Let me know if you want his contact details.

Cheers

Ray

haven

Expedition Leader
Mount Makiling shows what the Philippines were like 100 years, maybe even 50 years ago. Tall mature trees, lush understory, birds calling everywhere...a tropical hardwood paradise.

The University limits vehicle access, but jitneys run up the mountain on a regular basis. I don't think you'd encounter any problem taking your family on a hike. Just walking along the rocky vehicle trail is great, and there are plenty of footpaths to follow.

For a complete change of pace, take a trip to Ifugao Province. This is the mountainous home of an amazing set of rice terraces in Banaue, and fascinating cultural displays in Segada (including sarcophagi hanging on cliffsides and mummified remains in caves that you can hike into).

The "highway" from Baguio City to Bontoc is a wide dirt track that sees regular bus and truck traffic, but it still feels like a wilderness experience as it travels through miles of untouched forest. There are plenty of side roads and isolated hamlets to explore along the way.

swanyo

Observer
Pandin Lake near San Pablo might be worth a visit, its part of the seven lakes and is the cleanest of them. We visited late in 08. Here are some pics.
web_8.jpg

Hiking to the Lake
web_9.jpg

First view
web_11.jpg

Bamboo rafts out, while eating fresh fish, shrimp, pork, rice and fruit.
web_13.jpg

Hanging out
jump.jpg

Swimming time!
treejump.jpg

Swinging in the trees
web_20.jpg

Perfect end.
The kids had a blast

smithburt21

I love this place. Rainbow is just bang on. I can't wait to visit this place and enjoy pure breathe. I have one passion to collect all natural photos and spent time with plant , trees as alone.

Voodoo11

Observer
Head to Batangas and stay at Hotel Pontefino!

I know Manila and Makati are quite modernized and up to date. For a unique experience, you can take the kids to Ta'al lake. The only place where an island is on a lake, within a volcano, on another lake, within an island :)

Stay away from the balut but have some fresh lechon!

robski

Observer
Stay away from the balut but have some fresh lechon!

What's wrong with balut? hehe

San Juan Batangas area (laiya beach) is nice and about 2 to 3 hours drive from laguna. Caliraya lake (Lumban Laguna)is not bad too about the same hours above east from LB. Since your in los banos area ,don't forget to try espasol, and buko pie (coconut pie).

Ronct110

Adventurer
My friend Robbie is a member of the LR Philippines club. Let me know if you want his contact details.

Cheers

Ray

Sorry for the delayed response; I don't visit often but when do I, spend a good day reading and catching up.

Thanks Ray for the offer; I was hopping to get a hold of the LR PI Club and perhaps catch one of their runs/events (if any during my vist), and even willing to share cost of fuel if they let me ride shot gun. Would be great if I can get a hold of Robbie; I will PM you my email address.

Are you going to be @ the Overland Rally in Hollister; if yes, will make sure to stop by and hello. Attended last year's Rally in Hollister and met a lot of good people.

Thanks again for the offer.

Last edited:

Ronct110

Adventurer
Thanks Haven; will look into Mount Makiling, Ifugao Province and a few others you suggested; all cultures and sites are amazing including the rice terrace pic I found on Wiki:
Rice_terraces.png

And swanyo, thanks for sharing; water looks soo inviting; my two boys are coming with me so water activities will be in the itinerary for sure.

Vodoo11, wow Ta'al lake is unique alright; wonder if there's road access to bring a kayak. Stay away from the balut you say - that's the best part! Lol.
photo3big.jpg

Robski, yeah Batangas is relatively not far from where my family and I are staying; thanks for the suggestion; this beach resort in Batangas looks very inviting - I have to check out Dive and Trek: http://diveandtrek.com/facilities.html

And we agree on the balut. Plus cold San Miguel. :ylsmoke:

Last edited:

robski

Observer
forgot about san miguel beer and local lambanog. You can check out 4x4ph.com but I guest you have to join in to see trail travel thread.

Ronct110

Adventurer
Back from the PI

Wanted to wrap up my post from last year.

My family and I completed the trip; thanks for all the suggestions.

3 weeks was not enough time so we just stayed in/around Laguna and nearby sites: checked out the hot springs; hiking; tried to live like locals; no Nintendos or Xbox for the kids - just playing and swimming outdoors, and hanging-out w/relatives. Best part of the trip was that my kids enjoyed their 1st international trip and said they'd do it again; plus great experience w/the culture and sites during our short visit.

Taking the cost of airfare out of the EQ, transportation and food were relatively inexpensive via getting around by Jeepnies (converted to USD cost about .75 a ride from one town to another) and motorcycle w/a side kick (.25 USD per ride in/around small town), and local food was healthy and inexpensive. And we also stayed in the house that my wife inherited (no mortgage) and kept in good condition by relatives. My nice hair cut was about $1 USD converted from pesos.

Enjoyed the fresh fish daily (doesn't have all the hormones found in most fish farms), and vegetables purchased at the market and cooked same day req no refrigeration. In fact, I lost a good 10 lbs in a short time on fish and vegatable diet which was good being away from my regular diet in the USA. :chef: Sauna weather helped also.

Will be back in 2-3 years; perhaps hit other areas e.g. Bohol.

Promised my kids that will visit a different country this year.... Looks like w/a coin toss, Costa Rica is next.

Will a start new thread asking Qs/suggestions for adventure in Costa Rica.

Here are random photos fromour trip. Thanks!

Attachments

• 1 PI.JPG
    1 PI.JPG
    297.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 2 PI.jPG
    2 PI.jPG
    423.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 3 PI.jpg
    3 PI.jpg
    531.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 4 PI.JPG
    4 PI.JPG