TeardropsNW Ranger

Awkragt

Adventurer
Love your teardrop and LC. I'm assuming your 100 tows it just fine?

I've been thinking about making the transition to a teardrop w/ RTT but was worried about space with the wife and 2 kids, especially with the wet weather here in the NW. You're doing it with 6 so I think it should definitely be doable for us!

With the oldest of the 100 series it tows fine. Every couple of model years the 100 series and subsequent 200 get more power/more gears that help with hills.

Kids love the tree house factor and I like that everything stays with the teardrop, not weighing down the daily driver. Space-wise, this is still a camping vehicle. You kind of deploy it and live outdoors.

Awkragt

Adventurer
Update. We are planning on shipping the LC and Teardrop to Colombia in July next year. Can't wait to get out on the road full time for a 14 month tour of South America.

Also sold the CVT Hybrid roof top tent. The thing was just too heavy and cumbersome to setup. We did a test fit and all 4 kids can sleep inside the teardrop so I've got of options for a new roof top tent. Started looking cheap at OVS Bushveld but there seems to be some benefit to a high end brand in terms of actual usability and resale. Kinda between an iKamper 3.0 and a James Baroud.

DFNDER

GFC is offering the superlite again if you want the lightest rtt available. Loved ours but just sold it since we don’t need it anymore.

Awkragt

Adventurer
So that front box was way too heavy. It brought the tongue weight up to 285lbs. 220lbs of steel box plus battery, hardware, etc. Removed it this weekend in anticipation of going to some aluminum boxes. 285lb tongue weight was not fun to jockey around. Lesson learned.

Awkragt

Adventurer
While the front box is still being reworked I found the deal I was looking for on an iKamper. About 40lbs less than the old tent. Completely different in terms of setup/takedown time.
1.jpg
3.jpg

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3

Awkragt

Adventurer
While I'm waiting for the new front boxes to arrive I installed some flexible solar on the hatch. Two 200watt panels. Achieved 157watts peak on a winter day in the NW which is honestly better than I expected. Also 180deg awning. Things are coming together!
17.jpg
16.png

Awkragt

Adventurer
Update, trailer doing pretty well. Shipped to Colombia June 2023. Currently spending the holidays in Mendoza Argentina. Making the final push to Ushuaia in Jan/Feb.

First camp in Colombia, South of Cartagena:
1703615270661.jpeg

Barichara, Colombia:
1703615234209.jpeg

Los Nevados, Colombia:
1703615182497.jpeg

Two from the Salar de Uyuni, Bolivia:
1703615052065.jpeg
1703614988627.jpeg

Desert above Atacama Chile
1703614952422.jpeg

Forum statistics