Tech assistance question for Nissan guys.

red_5

Adventurer
Doing a timing belt job on my `02 SE/SC and changing all the hoses and water pump while I'm at it.

Got it all torn down, wasn't planning on disturbing the cam/crank oil seals due to the low mileage (32K). Yes, that's thirty-two thousand and hadn't planned on disturbing the cam pulleys or rear upper timing cover.

Here's where I need some magic... :sombrero:

There is a 90 degree by-pass hose directly behind the upper timing cover and boxed in by the distributor on the driver's side, the water outlet on the pass side, the intake on the rear and the supercharger on top. It's got those spring clamps with the ears on both ends. I can see the ears, but you'd need some kind of magic unicorn gizmo to get a tool on it.

Basically, I can see the hose and get to the lower clamp from under the timing cover, but the top clamp is buried. it *looks* like the only way to get the clamp off is to pull the supercharger or remove the cam pulleys/timing cover to for access to remove the water outlet. Then remove the lower hose clamp on the by-pass and pull the water outlet with the hose attached and change it off the engine. Reverse for re-install.

I'll have to buy or make a "pulley holder" tool for this route.

http://www.courtesyparts.com/xterra.../211-water-hose-piping/-c-532_14_467_471.html

diagram C01 part #14055

Anyone got a magic bullet for this one?

:xxrotflma

Last edited:

AdvisorX

Observer
If you are talking about the coolant hose, that runs from the cylinder head area then yes the supercharger has to be taken off. Shoot me a picture of your truck and repair and I will see if I can give you a better answer.

red_5

Adventurer
Thanks Robbie.

That's correct.

I suppose it's really too big to call a by-pass hose and it does make a lengthy journey of about 5" from the water outlet and the inlet (thermostat housing), directly behind the upper timing cover.

Looks like I'll need to pull the timing cover since all the unicorns are out of town.

Good thing I get around on this most of the time --> :bike_rider:

AdvisorX

Observer
it is a lengthy repair, but can be done at the house if you have some knowledge and plenty of time. If you need help with anything please let us know Im sure with the group on this forum we can just about fix anything!

red_5

Adventurer
Thanks. The forum can fix anything! :costumed-smiley-007

Being a hot-rod and motorcycle guy from way back, I am not entirely lacking in mechanical sensibilities.... :Mechanic: , now where's that hammer....?

With no shortcuts presenting themselves, the XTerra and I just stared at each other locked in some kind of man vs machine contest of wills to see who would blink first....

Some period of time later with no sign of blinking on either side, I came to realize that I would have to make the first move....

I bought the specialized tool (cam pulley holder) required to remove the cam pulleys so I could remove the rear top timing cover to get at the hose.

Aside from the aforementioned mental exercise, the job hasn't presented any real rocket science type challenges thus far, though it's slow going. Mostly due to me being somewhat particular about things like gasket sealing surfaces being surgically clean and not re-using bolts that have any trace of corrosion, etc.

If the rest of my small parts arrive on time, I should have it back together this weekend.

:sombrero:

Last edited:

max adams

Observer
I like going to the local pull your own parts wreckers for parts I can't easilly see. The rads are already out so I use my camera to take pictures, plus I alway need some trim pieces. Timing belt wasnt that hard on my 95, the thermostat was much harder.

red_5

Adventurer
Got the rig all back together yesterday.

New timing belt and tensioner, new water pump, new thermostat and housing, all new radiator hoses, new hose clamp and new belts. All Nissan OE parts except the hose clamps. I also replaced all the water pump bolts while I was at it, figuring I'd do the next guy (probably me again) a favor.

Aside from the timing belt having less than zero tension, visually, all the original parts were mint, including the hoses. Which is what I expected with only 32k on the clock. Just by eyeballing the parts it looked like it could have gone another 8 years if the timing belt hadn't been slightly loose.

there wasn't enough slack to be in immediate danger of jumping time, but with tension on the drive side of the belt, there was 2~3mm of slack between the belt and tensioner pulley. Enough to affect cam timing.

The water pump also had a bit of seal stiction, which I attribute too much sitting around.

The engine is a little snappier now with the cam timing tightened up to spec. The water pump seal was probably on the way out too, so it was due anyway.

All said the job wasn't bad, just time consuming. The biggest time-hog was stripping the old gaskets and cleaning/prepping the surfaces for reassembly.

Now if I can get the rest of my cr@p together this week, we'll get some Papa's day camping in!

:sombrero:

AdvisorX

Observer
Nice job my friend!! As you know its always smart cleaning a surface before going back together, take the extra time and do it right like you did. Well done!! Glad you got your rig back together and running

red_5

Adventurer
Thanks. I appreciate the assist.

Happy to get the job completed in time to head out this weekend for our 2nd annual Father's day camping trip with the wife, boy and dog.

:1888fbbd:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78

Members online