Technitop RTT, do you have one?

BajaCruiser

I am interested in this RTT and was wondering if other who might have the same share with me what they like or dislike about it and if the foam mattress is good or did you upgrade thru another supplier?

Thanks,
James

:sombrero:

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
PM gjackson or Connie. I think they have more Technitop experience than anyone else here. FWIW I have asked the same question through PMs and people who have used a variety of tents for an extended period of time in the US generally prefer Eezi-Awn or Maggiolina to the Technitop.

go4aryd

Adventurer
I don't have any problem with the mattress. I did add a thermofoil sheet beneath it, and that may add a bit. I am happy with my Technitop. It is about what I expected. It really opens up which is great for those hot summer days, and I am often solo, so the size is really great. Will I get something else? Perhaps, but not for quite a while. I bought mine used and haven't regretted it.

When I bought it I thought if the mattress was an issue for me, I would have Maravia build me a inflatable mattress built-to-size.

BTW - The updated report by Overland Journal was a pretty accurate review from my experience. I have not noticed the reported problems in the wind, and have been in 40 mph gusts earlier this spring.

Connie

Day walker, Overland Certified OC0013
Love the Technitop. It is a lot less fiddly than most tents. We don't have a problem with the mattress. There is room to store plenty blankets and pillows inside too. We had a problem with our "new" one because it had been used where there was sand, but when we asked Slee Offroad about buying a replacement pole, African Outback said that they would get a new one to us at no charge.

Youngunner

Adventurer
I recently picked one up for a decent price. I have yet to put it to use though. Looks nicely put together. Not too heavy.

Zepset

Technitop - Simple, Light, Robust

The Technitop RTT is cool because of the weight and integrated heavy duty plastic weather proof shell that forms the tent bed tray and travel case. It is much lighter than a Howling Moon, Eezi-Awn or other wood/fiber board based tent. Rot and Mold are less of an issue for the Technotop. You can fold it up and store it for long periods of time without an issue. Even with the endcap not totally secure, after seven years of rain, heat, and black widows, it was really in good condition.

The lower weight is also nice on a vehicle that may have relatively low gross vehicle weight or soft suspension. You get off camber with 200 - 250 pounds 8 feet off the ground and you will know it. The Technitop Tent is my choice for my Willy's MB.

The Technitop RTT also has a very simple rain fly set up that is nice. Just pop off the end caps, attach the ladder and crash out.

Ramble on.......

Zepset -

Expedition Projects:
41 Willys MB
68 Ford Bronco
79 GMC -Sierra Grande 25 - Camper Special

Attachments

• CIMG0260.JPG
    CIMG0260.JPG
    153 KB · Views: 26
  • CIMG0023.JPG
    CIMG0023.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 252

deadbeat son

Explorer
We had a problem with our "new" one because it had been used where there was sand

I'm a bit confused by this statement. Did you purchase a tent expecting a brand new/unused model and actually receive a used model? Or am I misunderstanding and your indication was simply that the tent was new to you?

Thanks!

Connie

Day walker, Overland Certified OC0013
I'm a bit confused by this statement. Did you purchase a tent expecting a brand new/unused model and actually receive a used model? Or am I misunderstanding and your indication was simply that the tent was new to you?

Thanks!
No, no. It was new to us not actually new. And much newer than the old one we have. That's why it blew me away when African Outback said that they would provide us with a new pole at no charge. The tent had only been used a few times and was in excellent condition apart from the sand issue (which I vacuumed about half a cup out of the tent).

deadbeat son

Explorer
No, no. It was new to us not actually new. And much newer than the old one we have. That's why it blew me away when African Outback said that they would provide us with a new pole at no charge. The tent had only been used a few times and was in excellent condition apart from the sand issue (which I vacuumed about half a cup out of the tent).

Okay, now I understand. Thanks for the clarification! That is great customer support.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior