Tent replacement

98dango

Expedition Leader
So the wife finally said we need a new tent.

We have had a amazing good used Mombasa tent.

We love it but its definitely showing age. We have had it 6 years after getting it off an amazing family that had several years of use and just went a different direction. We have almost purchased several new tents but always came back to its the same as we have. How ever a move home to Montana and a few cold nights she wants one with insulation a covred ladder and some features.

I have been looking at hard shells to help with branches ripping the travel cover. I am worried how they hold snow did I mention Montana year round camp.

We have been looking at the hard top side open 23 Zero. Any useful insight would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• 20240420_203939.jpg
    20240420_203939.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 6

alia176

Explorer
My experience is only with an Authome columbus RTT but I wonder if an iKamper would fit your bill? I don't know if insulation is going to be something easy to find or be effective where you camp during winter (dude, you crazy!!). The side wall material leaks like a sieve, as you know. But, the iKamper and similar knockoffs have the ability to make a decent vestibule that's completely closed off from the elements. You can place a Mr Buddy type heater in that space and some of that heat will end up inside the RTT, eventually. Maybe a diesel heating solution work for those cold nights? Perhaps heat up the vestibule , then move the ducting up to the RTT when you head to bed?

Just thinking out loud!

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Sounds like a good time to move into a real tent camper, ask your wife if she'd like something she could use the potties in, ask about having heat, even air conditioning. :)

rolando

Observer
We have a TuffStuff Alpha 2 for three years now and are happy with it. And it is not as overpriced like an iKamper.

It also came with an annex room and the awning that you see in the picture as a Black Friday deal.

IMG20240316142417.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179