Tepui Lightning Tent Material Replacement??

asherf

I have a discontinued Tepui Lightning RTT. It's several years old now, and becoming very obvious that the tent material is not going to last forever... I contacted Thule to see if they had any sitting in the back of a warehouse, or leads on where to get one (or have one made). I was thinking and hoping that they kept on some employees from back in the Tepui days that may have some info. Anyways, I had a very unsuccessful email back-and-forth with a generic Thule customer service rep.

I really like the tent, and would like to keep it out of a landfill. Does anyone have any advice on where to find the soft tent replacement, or how to go about having one made?

Jarred

I would check with a good upholstry shop. They may have some connections to find the fabric you are looking for and possibly make it for you.

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
If I remember right the Lightning was Tepui's attempt at a hard shell tent.

Fabric on a hard shell is different than for a folder. You have less fabric area so it has to breathe, a lot. My suggestion would be a good polyester acrylic, like a Sunbrella fabric. It is easy to go down a rabbit hole looking at fabric and overthink what you need. I would suggest going to SailRite, a great resource, you can get everything you need there. www.Sailrite.com I would also suggest checking out some of their tutorials. You can use your existing fabric as a pattern. They also will give you a good education on the different fabrics.

Once you take off your fabric, and have the replacement fabric you want, then you might need someone to help make it for you. You could do it yourself with a standard sewing machine if you want to spend the time. If you are on the coasts, a sailmaker is a good resource, otherwise and awning maker could do it. Jared is correct that an upholsterer could help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998