Thanksgiving in the Ouachita's SORTA

tchughes

Observer
I made the rounds with the family this weekend and our last stop was at my in-laws that have 120 acres outside of Sims, AR which butts against the National Forest. After eating lunch with them today I convinced my wife, son and father-n-law that we needed to take a drive, of course I had already scoped out where I wanted to go but I didn't really let them know.

We headed north on Sims loop Rd, then NW on Co Rd 637 which allowed us to cut back on an unmarked Co Rd that went along the ridge of Muddy Creek Mtn. This was a great little road that closed in on us a little as we neared the top. I thought it would have a turn around at the top but it appears the forest service has cut a road all the way across the top to an unmarked road on the west side. Unfortunately I wasn't able to complete the road since it was getting dark and the father-n-law was getting a little nervous, I will admit I didn't have any recovery equipment with me, so it was probably best.

We had a good time with a great view. Here are a few pics form my phone so forgive the quality but I think you will still enjoy.

Also, here is a link to our short trip on google maps. This is my first attempt with google maps so I hope this works.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...d=102200607142168206806.00049602a062a99a6ab4e

As we started up the Mtn.
ba8833a1.jpg

Main roads were in great shape.
7b9a7038.jpg

Headed up Muddy Creek Mtn.
7197ae45.jpg

The peek of the Mtn is around 2000ft. so the view was great, even this late in the day.
3704aa6f.jpg

b1e633ac.jpg

These helped get us above the trees.
332341fc.jpg

This is where it really started getting good but dark. I was convinced to turn and head back.
c5f005a2.jpg

Headed back to paved roads and getting the family home. Still had a two hour drive.
5a9cc7ae.jpg

If anyone is interested I can put something together of where we were.

RU55ELL

Explorer
We enjoyed it and it breaks the family in slowly. The wife is already talking about starting earlier next time and camping in the area to make a weekend of it.

Can't beat that. Does she like to camp a lot? Weldon always says something about "camping with daddy" every time we see a forest, lol. :elkgrin:

tchughes

Observer
Can't beat that. Does she like to camp a lot? Weldon always says something about "camping with daddy" every time we see a forest, lol. :elkgrin:

Yea, in the past we camped often but have never camped anywhere other than designated camping area's. So this would be a new experience for us.

barnstormer

Wanderer
I love that area. I don't get down there as much as I'd like, but I've got some long family history down there and wish I was there more often.

Go back a lot! Take lots of pics!

tchughes

Observer
I love that area. I don't get down there as much as I'd like, but I've got some long family history down there and wish I was there more often.

Go back a lot! Take lots of pics!

That is absolutely beautiful!! Now thats the way to spend a holiday.

Thanks guys, I plan on getting out there a little more than I have been. Its a two hour drive from the house so these trips will typically be weekenders so I can cover more ground and enjoy more scenery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman