The 91advrunner- 91 4runner sas

91advrunner

This build started out as a rock crawler in 2008, stalled out with some tranny issues, being held up by wanting to to a manual swap with dual cases etc. it sat for 10 years due to life changes, changes in interests etc. coming back around, now with 2 kids under 2, I want to score them the experiences I had off-road as a child. As it sits now:7C7F1272-C179-4899-B93B-2DD4F25F43E5.jpeg

85 front axle, 5.71 gears with ARBs, 5 inch springs, 37s, 3.0 v6 recently rebuilt from the block up, auto trans stock chain drive t-case with 2.56 gears I believe.
Pretty run of the mill SAS as of now, but shifting from a rock crawling build to a highly capable adventure rig. I’ll definitely make some rubicon trips but have a well built CJ5 if I want to do Fordyce etc. I plan to run Dusy Ershim, and cruise anywhere I please in the western half of the states at a minimum.
Plans moving forward are too replace the shift solenoids and do a bit of a rebuild on the transmission. Down the road I’ll be adding a 4.7 yota t case, I want to rebuild a cargo drawer system from what I built when I first got the rig, with a fridge, water tank, faucet, inverter etc. I’ll replace the CB and scanner with a ham, build a rear tire carrier etc.

Last edited:

91advrunner

I’ll have to get the photos from my old laptop of the cargo set up, but I’m looking to replicate this 100 Series build from the cargo drawer thread.
0ADBB43E-D4FE-4240-9D7B-DEE9708B3900.jpeg

91advrunner

Currently I’m waiting for a new fuel pump, roll over valves, and still trying to find the fuel pump bracket from a recycler. After not starting, I determined the fuel pump to be the issue, and after pulling it out, found that the bracket that submerges the pump in the tank was completely rusted. So that, the pump, sending unit, and fuel filter are all getting replaced, the tank itself is at a shop right now to get boiled, and coated to get rid of, and prevent any further rusting. In the mean time I set up new mud flaps since I couldn’t find the old ones. Here in CA they’re pretty strict about them, and I got a fix it ticket shreddy for them. Unfortunately that’s all the tech I have right now. I’ll attach a couple pictures of my quickly removable flapsE7E1CD7D-EDF2-48BF-85E4-9E8FECC5F1B4.jpeg7A7FDC9C-0659-43C0-8122-A96E3ABB9A2C.jpeg441FACA6-F189-469E-B623-0AD7AC7E2AA1.jpeg

Last edited:

91advrunner

We had a big day last weekend, getting the take back in and plumbed (for the second time, after a hardline was linked and broke). And as expected with Toyota, it fired right up after a few cranks. The motor seemed to have a miss in one cylinder that cleared up shortly thereafter with a short drive with some injector cleaner and fresh gas. The rear driveshaft lower u-joint was totally blown out, and is being replaced, so right now we only have front wheel drive.
The rear pinion angle is just slightly higher than that of the output flange of the t-case, and the plan is to turn around the blocks in the rear to adjust the angle just slightly. After that, we should be driving without issue.
The tranny seemed to have shifted fine after the solenoid replacement, from what I could tell.
Next step is some sliders I ordered on Black Friday, hopefully a bumper not long after to finish out the exterior.
5CF4F5F7-7F5C-468E-B912-E4C3A2EDDDCC.jpeg
B09CF7B5-5D7D-4DDC-AFE0-919A39EAFF04.jpeg
38B48D29-6EE0-4677-8208-F2899418ADFA.jpeg

91advrunner

The driveline is back in, fuel tank issues fixed, and transmission shifts perfectly after a solenoid replacement And flush, and the motor runs as if it never stopped. I’m now finding that at ride height my shackles are too vertical on both the front and rear axles, causing a rougher ride than necessary, and limiting my down travel due to the shackle maxing out too soon. My plan is to swap the main leaves in all of the springs for ones that are a few inches longer on the back end of the spring. If I put stock toyota rears from an 89-95 truck in the front, I will keep my axle location, and gain 3 inches at the rear eye, to hopefully fix the issue. In the rear I need to find some out of a 94-02 dodge 1500 to achieve the same thing. I’ll attach photos showing where the are now, and where they should end up.

I also took delivery of some You-weld sliders on a black friday deal, hope to get those on in the next week or so.
E9617AB6-2BEB-497A-A837-E5A37DF38CFB.jpegEB07B10C-B49F-4E9B-9857-AE28ED4A59CA.jpeg4FA24AA6-ACF9-409A-A928-019D33B88A97.jpeg7C5A6D50-0F64-414F-81DF-61B0DC04AE94.jpeg

Last edited:

OSV

Adventurer
cool truck!

the shackle angle looks pretty good as is... i seem to recall issues when it's too steep either way, can't remember the details.

91advrunner

I have had the runner out a few times on mild offroading trips to shake it down after so long of not driving it. It drives great on the road, great offroad, only thing is I may be dealing with a stretched chain in the back of the Transfer case causing some gear lash noise and vibration when there's no positive or negative load on the driveline. The sliders got hung up with the holidays, but should be on soon. Its been great to have it back on the road.IMG_8198.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12