The all-new Hayabusa to be revealed February 5th!

MTVR

The Hayabusa is a wonderful motorcycle, but it is now 22 years old, and is getting pretty long in the tooth.

I am hoping that we finally get what so many of us have been patiently waiting for...

MTVR

Well, sort of...

Information and images have been leaked.

It looks like updated bodywork on the same 22 year old chassis, a full suite of modern electronic rider aids, to include sophisticated programmable traction control and ABS with an IMU, and cruise control. It also has a gear position indicator, cruise control, and a programmable quick-shifter (with an auto-blipper, I suspect).

The Hayabusa has always been a "some assembly required" motorcycle- like replacing the 190/50 rear tire with a 180/55, 180/60, 190/55, or similar, and dumping as much weight as possible, starting with the massive exhaust system, tool kit, bar end weights, footpeg weights, air injection system, rear snow shovel, and engine counterbalancer.

The updates are appreciated, but I was really hoping for a more modern (lighter) chassis and more power.

Last edited:

WOODY2

Adventurer
Well, sort of...

Information and images have been leaked.

It looks like updated bodywork on the same 22 year old chassis, with a larger 1440 cc engine, updated Brembo brakes, lighter wheels, gas-pressurized fork, and a full suite of modern electronic rider aids, to include sophisticated programmable traction control and ABS with an IMU, and cruise control. It also has a gear position indicator, cruise control, and a programmable quick-shifter (with an auto-blipper, I suspect).

I'm expecting around 200-210 horsepower.

The Hayabusa has always been a "some assembly required" motorcycle- like replacing the 190/50 rear tire with a 180/55, 180/60, 190/55, or similar, and dumping as much weight as possible, starting with the massive exhaust system, tool kit, bar end weights, footpeg weights, air injection system, rear snow shovel, and engine counterbalancer.

The engine update is appreciated, as are the other updates, but I was really hoping for a more modern (lighter) chassis.
But wouldn't that take all of the fun/tradition out of modding your new bike while it's still warm from the drive home from dealer?

MTVR

But wouldn't that take all of the fun/tradition out of modding your new bike while it's still warm from the drive home from dealer?

This is 2021- there is no reason to have to buy a motorcycle that is incomplete.

Riders may have a preference in tires, and there can be some set-up required, maybe a shock, but that's about all. My MV Agusta F3 800, for example, is the most perfect motorcycle I've ever ridden...

Last edited:

MTVR

None of the three colorways light me up, and the chrome strips on the sides of the fairing would absolutely need to go- it's a motorcycle, it doesn't need chrome...

Last edited:

MTVR

My last Hayabusa was a 2000 (the last unrestricted year) in blue and silver. I purchased it new off the showroom floor, when we found out that the 2001 was going to be restricted to 186 mph. It was a great motorcycle.

20210203_172818.jpg

Last edited:

MTVR

I'd like to kick Suzuki really hard right in the junk over this- it got heavier, less powerful, and almost $4,000 more expensive.

They're not even trying- it's still got the same stupid 190/50 rear tire size left over from the '90s, which provides so much less traction when cracking the throttle open coming out of corners, as opposed to a 180/55, 180/60, 190/55, or other similar modern rear tire size. It wouldn't cost anything to fix that.

Is Suzuki so broke that they couldn't afford to increase the bore to give us a 1441 cc engine? There's no reason the Hayabusa shouldn't have 225-horsepower and 125 pounds of torque- that was one of the most important of the original elements that made the Hayabusa so appealing- it made a bunch of torque right off idle, and it made more horsepower than any open-class sporting motorcycle of the day.

I am so pissed...

OllieChristopher

I have not ever been a fan of Suzuki. The only thing the Hayabusa was good for was straight line speed. If I was to own a fast machine it would be the new Kawasaki H2. I could never get my head around owning a super bike.

If I was looking for a reliable bike to do the 2 ton on the dry lake then the Hayabusa is the bike to have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior