The Boxio camp toilet?

FAW3

Adventurer
The time has come for an improvement in our toilet set up.

Over the past few years our camping toilet has been a simple bucket rig. This system works pretty well overall. It consists of a plastic 5 gallon bucket and a simple Reliance brand snap on toilet seat, the original bucket snap on lid and some plastic waste bags, absorbent such as kitty litter/sawdust or wood pellets, a pump bottle of hand sanitizer and some baby wipes. All the supplies fit in the bucket.

Image from the Reliance website:
HL9863-23LIDUP_110x110@2x.jpg

This Reliance toilet rig has been low cost, simple & easy to use and clean and works pretty well...up to a point. For a "quick one" or a day or two this system works. However, past this limited time frame the issue becomes the amount of urine deposited overwhelms the system. The urine and solid waste combination also smells. Thankfully we have an external storage area for the unit, and it is always stored outside and rarely used inside the camper. You can add chemicals to address the smell...but my impression is that you just replace one bad smell with another. On occasion the disposal of the waste bags has presented a problem where the location we were at had no waste disposal and/or it would not be appropriate or possible to bury the solid waste. Overall, this simple bucket system works very well as an emergency or overnight kit, but for long term use it falls short. The problems are odor issues, the combination of solid and liquid waste, and at times waste disposal. It is a system that some of my camping partner(s) are happy to have in "a crisis", but for any longer term use they essentially just "tolerate" it.

Through the years of vehicle-based tent camping, Coleman pop-up camping, van camping, truck cap camping and now camping out of a Four Wheel Camper we've gone through a couple of toilet systems covering the range from a seat and a shovel, the simple bucket with seat and of course the portable chemical flush toilets like a Thetford.

I want to improve this toilet situation to improve the camping experience for both me and other members of my family, expand the usefulness of the toilet for longer term use and address the issue of odor. Based on a recent experience of using a separated/composting type toilet I want to try an approach that offers separation of solid and liquid waste. I want a lightweight, simple, easy to clean/maintain toilet system that offers a urine diverter and has a simple and responsible waste removal/disposal system. I want a dry system...no liquid chemicals or water flushing needed as at times this unit will be stored and used in freezing temperatures. The entire toilet rig must fit into my existing exterior storage cabinet and leave room for the other items I store there. The unit must be capable of withstanding and not leaking during the jolting/jarring/bouncing found on off pavement travel when the toilet is empty or partially filled.

The outside storage box is seen here swung open to the left of the FWC door. I use it for the toilet, the grey water bucket/hose and trash.
1702311011027.png

I've started researching and there are some home-built systems that would allow me to continue to use my present system with the addition of a urine diverter. These diverters just clip on or are otherwise mounted to a standard plastic 5-gallon bucket. One issue with this approach is that the diameter of the bucket limits your available space for comfortable and effective "aiming" of the two bodily functions under discussion.

Here is an example of a simple bucket urine diverter. You can find them on Ebay and Etsy. Photo credit: Etsy; JohnnyCompostToilets:
il_1140xN.4489580558_ouay.jpg

After some consideration of this option, I decided to move on, and I started researching simple composting toilets on the internet. Many were too oversized/overweight for my simple FWC camping unit and were more appropriate for a larger van type RV. The Natures Head, OGO, LovableLoo and other makers on E-bay/Etsy had various offerings but for one or more reasons, size, complexity, weight or cost, simply would not work for my specific needs.

This informal research did however steer me more firmly toward the waste separating type of portable toilet. Many YouTube videos are available that give detailed reviews of these various toilets and the experiences and benefits/pitfalls of the type. These smaller portable units are more "waste separating" than true "composting" units. A typical user will be emptying the unit every few days...not really enough time for "composting".

Two offerings seemed to offer what I was looking for. Both are from companies sited in Germany. Both designs are essentially sturdy plastic boxes with well-designed waste separators with a toilet seat. The firms are Trelino and Boxio.

I was impressed with the simplicity and features of the Boxio. Boxio appears to be a fairly new company out of Germany. They offer a separating/composting toilet (and also a neat sink unit) that is based on a basic foundation that resembles a US type plastic milk crate. The toilet unit is very simple, practical and meets my specific weight/size requirements. It seems to offer the best features/cost combination. One aspect is that you can buy a "lower stacker box" that attaches to the toilet unit and can hold all the items related to the toilet (bags, hand sanitizer, wipes, waste media).

BOXIO_Toilet_25.jpg

All things considered, I decided to give it a try. I purchased a toilet and look forward to how it will work out. I found the toilet available via Boxio direct and also via Amazon.

Some resources:

Here is the US website for BOXIO: https://myboxio.com/

A YouTube review of the BOXIO toilet and sink unit: https://www.bing.com/videos/rivervi...2A8EA3F0E34B4C353C402A8EA3F0E34B&&FORM=VRDGAR

US website for the Trelino toilet offering: https://mytrelino.com/

(more to come)

Last edited:

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
Following. Urine diversion poopers are the future and it's now. I have a Thetford in my Northstar American Hero and it's great but they do have issues. Namely smell (you can buy fans for them). I have a portable Separette urine diverting unit that I've used for remote trips where I don't want to rip my big camper mostly in southern Utah but it's a little clunky.

You pack your poop out of places like the Canyonlands/Maze/White Rim nowadays and it's best practice down there anywhere you go, even if regs don't require it, in the Yolo Insta-era. So I've usually brought my Wallyworld folding toilet stand and wag bags with an ammobox for bag storage. Works good enough. But again. Clunky.

So I've been looking for two things. One would be a urine diverter dry toilet conversion for my Thetford. Still looking for beta on that. It means modifying my Thetford in some way and using the cassette compartment for removal of the solids bin and pee container. I think it's doable but will require some mods, glass work but I could keep my existing shower setup.

2nd need is when I'm shedding the camper and going deep in the wilds. Packrafting loops, backpacking, canyoneering, bike support trips etc. I really like the look of the Boxio for my extreme remote trips when I go places that no truck camper should go. Love that it's stackable with the sink unit and their empty boxes. Only down side is it doesnt appear to be waterproof and the lid doesn't lock down and have a seal. A minus for bugs and stormy situations. It would be really easy to add a fan and a vent to speed up dehydration and that black color is perfect for that as well.

Trelino looks slick as well. Love this new direction.

Last edited:

FAW3

Adventurer
I now have my Boxio Toilet and can make some initial observations. Caveat: based on one day's field use and urine only.

The only real assembly required is the installation of 4 screws with the allen wrench supplied, and the threading and knotting of the cord for the "hinge". The components all fit together well, and the unit is as expected lightweight and of a size that balances good "size for use" and good "size for storage in a small camper". The flat black color is unobtrusive when stored under the rear area of my truck camper on the ground. Just as a note I weigh 220 pounds and the unit is sturdy enough in my opinion for long term use.

As this is a separating toilet under the toilet seat insert are two containers. The urine container comes with two screw on lids - one for use and one for carrying. The "in-use" lid has a rubber seal port that seals around the urine "tube". You can buy a plug for the urine tube from Boxio or it's likely Ace Hardware has a plug that would work. The "carry lid" is for the run of shame to a dumping location and is a full seal lid. Of note is that the solid waste container does come with a decent sealing lid. The lid can be stored in the toilet out of the way and used to seal off the solid waste part as needed. I'll likely be using the lid between solid material deposits to reduce odors.

I also got the additional base platform which raises the toilet seating area from about 11" to 15 3/4" and provides a storage area for various things like waste bags, compost media, hand sanitizer and toilet paper/baby wipes. For me at 5'10 the 11" toilet height is doable...but the addition of the base is appreciated for a bit of extra height. You could also just cut a couple of 4x4" sections of lumber if you wanted a boost. I carry several already for tire and jack blocking. The base comes with 6 plastic clips to join the base and the toilet together. It works, but for field use these clips are a bit of a bother, especially with cold fingers. The base and toilet fit together well, and I just may forgo the clips most of the time or come up with a different latching system.

PlacidWaters

Adventurer
I use a bucket toilet and have a simple way to keep liquid and solid separate. First, pee outdoors whenever possible so the bucket stays cleaner. Then I put a couple of inches of pine pellets in the bottom of the bucket. Those are very odor free, such that I can keep the bucket in my tent with no problem. The pellets absorb an awful lot. For solid waste I put a plastic grocery store bag over the rim of the bucket and put a couple of handfuls of sawdust in the bag. When I'm finished I shake the bag a bit to coat the waste with sawdust. I dispose of the bag in the nearest appropriate place (dumpster). That way, the pine pellets remain clean and odor free in the bottom of the bucket for a couple of days.

I originally put a plastic seat on the bucket, but I found it was an unnecessary added part. Sitting directly on the rim of the bucket isn't really uncomfortable, it's not a sharp edge. Without the added seat, you can close the bucket air tight with a screw-on lid.

I started using this system due to Covid in 2020 and I've continued it because it avoids unhygienic outhouses.

Last edited:

FAW3

Adventurer
I use a bucket toilet and have a simple way to keep liquid and solid separate. First, pee outdoors whenever possible so the bucket stays cleaner. Then I put a couple of inches of pine pellets in the bottom of the bucket. Those are very odor free, such that I can keep the bucket in my tent with no problem. The pellets absorb an awful lot. For solid waste I put a plastic grocery store bag over the rim of the bucket and put a couple of handfuls of sawdust in the bag. When I'm finished I shake the bag a bit to coat the waste with sawdust. I dispose of the bag in the nearest appropriate place (dumpster). That way, the pine pellets remain clean and odor free in the bottom of the bucket for a couple of days.

I originally put a plastic seat on the bucket, but I found it was an unnecessary added part. Sitting directly on the rim of the bucket isn't really uncomfortable, it's not a sharp edge. Without the added seat, you can close the bucket air tight with a screw-on lid.

I started using this system due to Covid in 2020 and I've continued it because it avoids unhygienic outhouses.
Great observations.

Another “seat comfort“ enhancement is using a split pool noodle around the perimeter of the bucket rim.

FAW3

Adventurer
We are currently roaming around Southern Florida in our other RV. Our FWC and the Boxio are stored Virginia.

The real Boxio test will be in April when we head out for a month or more of remote camping out in Texas, New Mexico and Colorado.

So far it’s been great on a short trip of two days. The separation of wastes and the ability to seal up and/or dump each containment receptacle separately is a definite improvement over “the bucket“. Forget any ideas of composting, this is a waste separation toilet system.

Also we like the optional base unit as all your ancillary toilet stuff is stored there (toilet paper, absorbent media, hand sanitizer) it also raises the seat up to a more comfortable height.

Great idea with the pine pellets. I always have pine shavings for my goats and chickens, and never thought of using them. I do however add fresh rosemary from our plants. I just pull it off the stem and throw it in the bucket. I'm going to pack some pine shavings next trip, thanks for the idea. I have been using a separate pee bucket but my goal is to get a separation toilet. I was also looking at the boxio.

FAW3

Adventurer
Now well into a month long trip focusing on remote public lands camping without facilities.

The Boxio is working out great. I'm completely satisfied with the design and function. It is light, rugged and simple. Glad I purchased it.

The separation of liquid/solid waste is very effective, emptying is easy and sanitary. Odor issues are nearly non-existent.... especially with the urine drain plug and the solid waste container lid. The unit is comfortable to sit on and "aiming" has not been an issue.

Liquid waste is just poured out of the urine container responsibly. Solid waste goes into a baggie in the rear container with some wood chips. Boxio bags are biodegradable and can be buried or disposed in trash. The bags that came with the unit seem to be good for about 4-5 days before they degrade and leak.

Happy travels!KIMG3924.JPG

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior