The Prescott National Forest is revising their Forest Plan

4WD School

Adventurer
The Prescott National Forest, Located in central Arizona, is revising their Forest Land and Resource Management Plan (Forest Plan).The Forest Service (FS) is asking the public to help identify issues to be addressed as they begin this plan revision.

The Forest Plan is the basic document used to provide guidance for all resource management activities on the National Forest for the next 10 to 15 years. The agency plans to release a draft revised plan and Draft Environmental Impact Statement (DEIS) for formal comment near the end of 2010. A final revised plan and Final Environmental Impact Statement (FEIS) is expected to be out by the end of 2011.

Comments will be most useful in the development of the draft revised plan and Draft Environmental Impact Statement if they are received by February 15, 2010.

Send written comments to:
Prescott National Forest
Attn: Forest Plan Revision Team
344 South Cortez Street
Prescott, Arizona 86303

Comments may also be sent via e-mail by using the "Contact Us'' page on the Prescott National Forest planning Web site: http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/prescott/plan-revision/get-involved.shtml

For more information, contact Sally Hess-Samuelson, Forest Planner, Prescott National Forest, 344 South Cortez Street, Prescott, Arizona 86303, shesssamuelson@fs.fed.us, 928-443-8216. Information on this revision is also available at Prescott National Forest revision Web site: http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/prescott/plan-revision/index.shtml

As always, if you have any questions or concerns, please contact BRC.
Thanks in advance for your support,
Ric Foster
Public Lands Department Manager
BlueRibbon Coalition
208-237-1008 ext 107

SilverBullet

Explorer
Do we have any idea what they are trying to do? When they closed Alto, I spent weeks trying to figure out why offering to adopt the area with a few friends but no luck. They blamed the full size rigs. Now Alto is worse, and they still blame the Jeepers (not sure how since they can't even get in there). Now portions of Smiley Rock Trail are closed since the fires and have not been opened back up this fall. Portions of Great Western Trail are blocked too.

Do we know if they will reconsider reopening any areas, or is this a cut and shut meeting plan?

tmac

Adventurer
Do we have any idea what they are trying to do? When they closed Alto, I spent weeks trying to figure out why offering to adopt the area with a few friends but no luck. They blamed the full size rigs. Now Alto is worse, and they still blame the Jeepers (not sure how since they can't even get in there). Now portions of Smiley Rock Trail are closed since the fires and have not been opened back up this fall. Portions of Great Western Trail are blocked too.

Do we know if they will reconsider reopening any areas, or is this a cut and shut meeting plan?

What portions of Smiley Rock did they close? I took a group thru there in November over Thanksgiving and nothing was closed

SilverBullet

Explorer
What portions of Smiley Rock did they close? I took a group thru there in November over Thanksgiving and nothing was closed

That is a surprise, I tried to approach from the top in late September and it was closed at the second gate then down to wood chute canyon... glad to hear if it is open again.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Do we have any idea what they are trying to do?

I have a few friends in the PNF and the mountain bike promotions company I co-own does a lot of work with the PNF. As I understand it, many of the closures are being implemented to allow certain areas to heal from a little over use. As an example, Service Road 51 off Thumb Butte road was recently closed because that area was getting a little overwhelmed with trash, fire pits, etc. They're also trying to get a bit more balance in the forest as some areas are webbed with not just 4x4 roads, but trails as well. No sense having two roads so close to each other that access the same spots.

I have a great deal of confidence in the PNF as of late. I think they have a good vision for how to keep various user groups happy while still maintaining the forest with basically zero funds and resources to do so. One thing that has benefited the mountain bike community with unparalleled success is a community of volunteers to take care of their own interests in the forest.

You do have to get your voice out there.

tmac

Adventurer
That is a surprise, I tried to approach from the top in late September and it was closed at the second gate then down to wood chute canyon... glad to hear if it is open again.

They did have the area at the top closed at one point for repaving of the asphalt roads. This was near Potato Patch if that is where your top approach was. I called the forest service offices prior to my Nov. run and was told that there were no locked gates. Things could have changed.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
I think the PNF management is doing a very good job as well. They need to plan for a burgeoning population in the Prescott area over the next 10 to 15 years, balance the needs of user groups who are frequently hostile to each other, and, most vitally, ensure the long-term health of the landscape and wildlife. It's not just about who gets to use which trail, a fact that is often lost in acrimony.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
From my limited experience interacting with the PNF as an advocate for the mountain bike community, the first and most important step for any user group is to fully understand the scope of the resources the forest service has to work with. That will set the tone for any expectations your user group might have going forward. When we in the mountain bike community discovered there was only one guy in the PNF to build and maintain our local trails and he was a part time employee, it was tough for us to expect much. It also signaled our need to drive more of our numbers into the woods to pitch in.

It's also critical to have a unified voice for your user group. It's taken us as a mtb community to get there, but we're finally able to get things accomplished with our public lands because in large part, we're making it happen.

With regard to planning meetings, it's one thing to show up, listen and offer input. It's something else to go out into the woods to put some sweat equity into your wants and needs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior