The Tetons

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
I was lucky enough to be sent to Jackson Hole for the week for work.. We toured the Teton National Park with www.springcreekranch.com (which was unreal) under their "Safari Tours." Normally these are reserved for their guests only (the property is also literally amazing. Every building/room is purpose built to face the Tetons, including even the toilets. The entire complex are these amazing wooden hotel rooms and small condo rooms, almost a moderate Santa Fe style or something like that)...

On the tour, we saw easily 20 moose (coats tattered and no antlers so early in spring), two Bald Eagles, an ultra rare Golden Eagle getting dive bombed by a Red Hawk (very cool), and at least 6,000 Elk :) Unfortunately only my Moose pictures turned out decently... The Bald Eagle pics, they were all just a hair too far away. I cannot believe how large these birds are -- simply amazing..

The Golden Eagle was even larger... Turns out Golden Eagles follow packs of goats and Sheep and are so large that they eat these young.. They are also constantly tormented by the much smaller birds like Red Hawks, worried that they will encroach on their territory. The dive bombing was part of a bird fight between the two in mid air... The Golden Eagle then opened its wings largely, didn't flap once in about 5-10 minutes before it was out of site, and caught a wind pattern and soared higher and higher and higher out of there, not wasting a bit of energy...

We were in search of several Grizzlies (I have never seen a wild Grizzly) called 399 and her young. 399 is her tag number, and she travels with her three adolescent young that she is about to kick off. They hang around the roads and more popular areas and are relatively less spooked to humans for some reason. She is supposedly famous, here are her google results... http://www.google.com/search?q=bear...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

I was hanging out with this gentleman from Phoenix who the day before found, followed, and took about 3000 photos http://portfolio.cavaroc.com/c/cavaroc of the Grizzlies that should be posted shortly I figure... I'll post some when they are up...

Anyway, these are just with my simple Canon point and shoot..

The power of the Tetons is amazing and some of the photos turned out wonderfully. I am not a religious person but this was, at one point, possibly the first times in my life where I feel like "God could have been speaking to me" or something along those lines... Unfortunately the photos do not do justice. The clouds were hovering and crashing into the Tetons at about this moment (7:30PMish) and the sun was just setting behind them.

The photos show two Moose that were almost posing for us. One in front of the famous "sleeping Indian" mountain in the background. Again, near sunset...

:beer:

Last edited:

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Nice photo set Andre. :clapsmile

The Tetons are the pinnacle peaks in the Rocky Mountain chain IMO. Your description is dead on. Nice that you got to see so much wildlife. Love the Moose and sunset shots. The snowpack in Jackson Hole is the best I've seen in years.

And Spring Creek Ranch? Woo hoo....Mr. FancyPants. That joint is super swank. Before Four Seasons showed up, that was the premier resort in Jackson. I'm sure you must have enjoyed your visit there.

Great photos and write up. :beer:

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
I love the Teton's. Supposedly a French trapper named them the Grand Teton's because they reminded him of...um...a nice female chest.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Seemed like the whole town was giddy about their record snowfall (rightly so)... 605 inches at Jackson Hole, possibly the sickest ski area in the country... Makes sense to me... :)

Jackson, Steamboat, a bunch of places actually had record snowfalls. Epic El Nina year is the word on the street... We had about 680" in the Cottonwoods (we hit 700 if we get 20 more inches by the end of the year... High 400's here in Park City... It was an amazing winter, relentless through at least February here...

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10605&highlight=winter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears