There and Back Again . . . A tale of a flatlander

CDMartin

Suffering Fools
New Video added

Last Dollar Road, going from Telluride to Ridgeway, CO

[video=youtube;ZbGhOntdyVE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZbGhOntdyVE[/video]

Token

Explorer
Great ride..!!! I miss my bikes sometimes.. Others not so much anymore.. Did a trip across some of that same pavement back in 2005.. If you get the chance to make it back that way again sometime..

From Gallup, work you're way across the Navajo nation to Tuba City.. Look for Old Oraibi along the way.. Make you're way to the Grand Canyon for a night on the east end.. Much less traffic, great cheap little campground on that end.
Work your way up to Kanab, UT by way of the Vermillion Cliffs. Go up past Bryce Canyon and on through Escalante.. Somewhere in what is the middle of Hell just east of Escalante, there's a little Oasis down in a valley called Calf Ckeek.. Check into a campsite for the night.. Watch the skys.. It is so dark out there you can see satellites going overhead..
Just a bit down the road is Boulder, UT.. There's an old trail east out of town called the Burr Trail.. It's an old cattle trail that's got some history and it's gravel, dirt, sand and a river crossing or two.. Keep your feet up..
This will run you across the lower end of Capital Reef and over to Glen Canyon... Take the ferry across the lake and head over to Hwy 261 and head south to the Mokee Dugway.. At the base of the Dugway you find the west end of Valley of the God's.. You know what to do there right..?? Take the unpaved road.. From there you drop off back on 163 just north of Mexican Hat and about 30 miles from Monument Valley.
I'd have to look around but there's a lot of good dirt on the east side of 191 that can take you all the way to Moab.. From Moab there's a mostly dirt path to get you back into Colorado at Gateway, CO...

A lot of that layout above was the trip I would have like to have made it.. My bike just wasn't very well suited for that sort of travel though, so I stuck mostly to pavement.. Keep wanting to make that trip in the dirt with the Jeep.. Gas was a lot cheaper then (even though it was a week after Katrina hit) and the bike was getting 40mpg rather than 14...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998