Thinking about on Monty...

Pushbutton

This'll be longer then expected....

Hey yall, I guess you can say I'm new here. Usually I kinda hang around the LC forums. Anyway, I had a question for yall. I am by no means a person who knows much about SUVs or off roading or any of that. I have done my fair share of off road driving, but in others rigs. I am a sports car fan and my current 1985 300ZX turbo is the largest car I have ever owned.

That said I find myself in need of an SUV, one that can go long distances on nasty roads and into places where there are no roads at all. I'm an archaeologist that works in Belize and my latest projects have found me stranded in 2wd rental Ford Econos 1 too many times. Having to hoof 500 pounds of equipment a few miles never gets fun.... especially in 95 degree heat and 100% humidity.

Anyway, too the point. My only requirements for the vehicle were to be fairly inexpensive to maintain, dependable, tough as nails, be able to find parts in Latin America, and have a rear locker. So I immediately jumped on the LC80 and, much to my disappointment, that they are more then I am looking to spend. Thats when I took a look at the Monty. My only experience with one was my old ex's Raider, which was a blast to drive. I was glad to see that the Monty was well in my price range, even below it. So I guess what I'm asking is if the Monty is the right car for my needs or should I look for a LC in my range? Also, what should I look for in a used Monty?

I did find this.... http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=256610596&dealer_id=66779&car_year=1995&rdm=1239338252867&model=LC&num_records=25&systime=&make3=&make2=MIT&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=200&marketZipError=false&model2=MONT&search_lang=en&sownerid=100025600&showZipError=n&make=TOYOTA&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&seller_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=30066&advanced=&end_year=2010&doors=&transmission=&max_price=10000&cardist=183&standard=false

95 SR... which I have heard refered to as the "holy grail" of Monties with only 110K on the ticker for $5K... but the window sticker says $3.2K so we will see about that. It is a god awful color combo, but with enough mud and road dust it should look alright. Any thoughts on this one? Thanks for the help in advance. :sombrero:

off-roader

Expedition Leader
94-96SR's have the locker and 3.5L which many like.
97-99's with the cold weather package also has the locker in case you're looking that new.
I bought my 96SR for only $1350. CA registration was ~250.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior